Question types in Hartle's General Relativity?

In summary, the conversation is about the abbreviations used in James B Hartle's Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity and the lack of a key for these abbreviations in the Pearson New International Edition. The key for these abbreviations is found in the Organizational Notes on page xxii, prior to page1. The abbreviations include A, B, C, E, N, P, and S, with each one representing a different type of problem. The edition being discussed only contains the table of contents, 24 chapters, and an index, with everything else being stripped out.
TonyS
I've been leafing through a recently bought copy of James B Hartle's Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity and I notice that some of the questions have one or more letters assigned to them, such as A, B, C, S, P.
It seems that my Pearson New International Edition does not contain the key to these abbreviations, so I'm wondering if anyone has an edition that includes the key and can enlighten me !
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my edition, this key is in the Organizational Notes on page xxii, which is the page that precedes page1.

A = more algebra than most problems
B = problem refers to a Box discussion
C = more challenging than most problems
E = order of magnitude estimate
N = requires computer work
P = requires physics outside of presumed prerequisites
S = straightforward (in Hartle's opinion)

Likes TonyS
George Jones said:
In my edition, this key is in the Organizational Notes on page xxii, which is the page that precedes page1

Thank you for the information :smile:

I double checked and my edition only contains the table of contents, the 24 chapters and an index, everything else has been stripped out.
Thanks again.

Related to Question types in Hartle's General Relativity?

1. What are the different types of questions in Hartle's General Relativity?

Hartle's General Relativity covers a wide range of topics and questions, but some of the most common types of questions include those related to the theory of gravity, the curvature of spacetime, and the mathematical equations used to describe these phenomena.

2. How does Hartle's General Relativity differ from other theories of gravity?

Hartle's General Relativity is a theory of gravity that is based on the concept of spacetime curvature, rather than the action of a force between massive objects. This makes it fundamentally different from other theories of gravity, such as Newton's theory of gravitation.

3. What are some real-world applications of Hartle's General Relativity?

Hartle's General Relativity has been used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of objects in the solar system to the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS systems.

4. How does Hartle's General Relativity relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Hartle's General Relativity is a modified version of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. It builds upon Einstein's work and provides a more comprehensive understanding of gravity and spacetime.

5. What are some current areas of research in Hartle's General Relativity?

Some current areas of research in Hartle's General Relativity include the study of black holes, the search for gravitational waves, and the use of the theory in cosmology to better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.