What would happen if a Pokéball expelled 999.8kgs of air in 1 second?

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothetical effects of a Poké Ball capturing and releasing a large Pokémon, potentially causing an explosion-like effect due to the expulsion of air. However, due to the imaginary nature of Pokémon and the unclear physics involved, it is difficult to accurately calculate the effects of this scenario. It is also noted that the mechanics of the Poké Ball would not allow for such a rapid expulsion of air without damaging the device.
MatNX
If we were to suppose the pokéball gets rid of the pokémons mass by expelling it as air, what would happen? Imagine we had a pokémon weighing 999.9kgs, being a perfect sphere and having a diameter of 10cms. (Cosmovum). If the Pokéball takes 1 sec to capture or to release a pokémon, and it reduces the pokémon to let's say 100g, what would happen. Upon capture, the whole 999.8kgs get expelled into the surrounding enviroment, and upon release, this much air would be sucked into the pokeball. Taking 1 second, what would this cause. I'd imagine it would cause some explosion-like effects, but I don't really understand what exactly would happen. If anyone has some ideas, please tell me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We really can’t say much here as Pokémons are imaginary creatures running around in an imaginary world.

Losing air into the environment would be like a balloon losing air so maybe the Pokémon is blown in the opposite direction.

Thanks! But I´m actually more concerned about the force this would create. A normal balloon doesn´t have a metric ton of air inside of it, compressed into 500 cm3. The effects of "popping" such a balloon should be different. I´m just not sure how to calculate such an explosion or propulsion, which is why I posted it here. Also, witout wanting to sound rude, I know they are imaginary, which is why I posted this in the Science Fiction and Fantasy Media-Forum. Still, thanks for the quick reply!

What i meant by imaginary is that teal world physics may not apply.

I get that, but my question was more of a "what if it would apply", kind of like what the Game theorists do. There obviously aren´t any problems in the games, but what problems would be there if these things were happening in reality?

I'll confess, I'm not really up on Pokémon culture, but Cosmovum (aka Cosmoem) is a bit of a mess, really. It is described like 'an eyeball from space' and has what look like flanges on it, and supposedly its weight vs. size is from its protostar heritage, but this is muddied because its evolution differs between games so some sites suggest a neutron star as a base - which definitely aren't protostars - or even a black hole which means Cosmovum only ever gets heavier! Either way, even for a made up character, it is nonsensical.

Anyway, I've assumed you've just taken Cosmovum's size and mass and applied that to a generic Poké Ball which is a sphere, then wondered about the expelling air bit...

OK, first up, calculating the 'actual' physics of this is near impossible unless you add in a ton of assumptions that let you get pretty much any answer you like.

But let's look at the macro level: if the Poké Ball is repeatedly doing this ingestion/expelling process then the result cannot be explosion-like, as that would destroy the Poké Ball. So what you are left with is an extremely rapid decompression through an orifice of some kind and I can't get that much air flow through a small orifice in one second. So I don't think that your scenario actually works in the real.

Likes MatNX

Related to What would happen if a Pokéball expelled 999.8kgs of air in 1 second?

1. How does air compression work in Pokéballs?

The air compression in Pokéballs is a result of the use of advanced technology. The Pokéball contains a special mechanism that compresses the air inside when a Pokémon is captured. This allows the ball to shrink in size and hold the captured Pokémon securely.

2. Why is air compression necessary in Pokéballs?

Air compression is necessary in Pokéballs because it allows the ball to shrink in size and hold the captured Pokémon securely. This makes it easier for trainers to carry multiple Pokéballs with them and also protects the captured Pokémon from harm.

3. How does air compression affect the captured Pokémon?

The air compression in Pokéballs does not have any negative effects on the captured Pokémon. The compression process is designed to be gentle and does not cause any harm to the Pokémon. In fact, the compressed air inside the ball helps to keep the Pokémon comfortable and safe.

4. Can air compression be adjusted in Pokéballs?

Yes, the air compression in Pokéballs can be adjusted. Trainers can adjust the level of compression in their Pokéballs depending on the size and strength of the Pokémon they are trying to capture. This allows for a more customized and efficient capturing process.

5. Are there any limitations to air compression in Pokéballs?

There are some limitations to air compression in Pokéballs. The amount of air that can be compressed is limited by the size and capacity of the Pokéball. This means that only Pokémon of a certain size can be captured in a particular Pokéball. Additionally, the compression process can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.