IMG_0049.jpeg

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, Math100, pinball1970 and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't anywhere near this level then, and it shows up to now,

Borek, not 16, but 61.

• Love
Likes erobz, pinball1970 and mcastillo356
I was having fun at Bilbao, Biscay, Basque Country, with my best friend. Now I am 58. I look back in longing (did I use well the word "longing"?)

Likes erobz, hutchphd, Astronuc and 1 other person
When I was 16, I stressed out so much in high school because I wanted to get into a good college. School life was very overwhelming.

• Care
  • Sad
Likes erobz and pinball1970
I was watching the Vietnam War on B&W television news, and so being taught to protest Government stupidity, and to rebel against conscription.

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, BillTre and 1 other person
At 16, I was taking my first physics class in high school, in 11th grade.

I was also a photographer for my school's yearbook. The summer after my 11th grade, a bunch of the yearbook staff including me went to a yearbook-production workshop at Kent State University, not far from our town. This was a few months after four Kent State students were killed by National Guardsmen during a Vietnam War protest. We attended a hearing of a presidential commission that had been set up to investigate the shootings.

kentstate.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Informative
Likes erobz, hutchphd, Astronuc and 3 others
I forgot to tell. I passed all exams in June, and my parents made me one of the best gifts of my life: I went to the USA on July. One month. Guided, of course: I was only 16. Visited New York for three days (I remember I climbed all the stairs inside the Liberty Statue; don't know how I managed to make a short escape to see the Bronx, by night, alone; I also stood in front of the famous jewelry Audrey the actress made famous, and got impressed by the smallest shop window ever seen...
Then San Francisco for three days (those buildings, the island, that curvilineous road with flowers asaids), the Santa Monica beach. the store where I bought those trousers,...
And Los Angeles, with a lovely family who made me feel at home. Those six lane's roads to get downtown.
So lovely every thing.
Best wishes!

• Love
Likes erobz, Math100, BillTre and 3 others
I was 16 in1983 I would have been studying and playing music. "O" levels in the May/June to start college in the September.
I have no memories of what was going on in the world. I remember a lot about the Falklands war the year before.
I do not think I was heavily into thinking about the universe!
Unfortunately I think I rated myself intellectually, probably because I did not have an awful lot of competition. Just a few clever friends.
That arrogant bubble was burst in September, where all my new class mates at 6th form were at the very least on par.

Last edited:
Likes erobz and Math100
Playing sports (hockey and football), playing guitar, and partying too far too much! It wasn't until I was about 24-25 that I developed a serious interest in math and science.

Likes erobz, pinball1970 and Math100
I was doing anything but schoolwork, mostly the wrong things. I graduated High school 2nd from the bottom of my class at age 17. I went to work as a farm hand, sandwich shop cook, cashier, cook, lawn care, 3rd shift quality control at concrete plant. It was there that I became interested in math (dealing with the calculations for pre-stressed hollow core slabs-temperature corrections). I started college as and adult student part time.( I had to beg to be let in on the condition I got all A’s first semester). I was working full time overnights at the plant, and attending school part time undeclared. I did that for about a year and a half, until I decided to quit the concrete plant and enroll full time. I picked up a part time job working as a loader at UPS ( I was about 24 at that point). Every morning before going to school I would do 4 hrs (4am to 8 am) loading packages. I managed to do that for 2 year until my grades took a hit. Graduated ( with honors ) in at the ripe age of 28 with a B.S.M.E.T… Now almost 40 -stay at home dad.

I realize this is more than what I was doing at 16, but I felt I would just explain, since my start was ( I imagine) very atypical for the path to this website.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, mcastillo356 and Math100
Hi, @erobz, amazing, but, did you take the time to sleep the mandatory hours? I haven't got a clue, @berkeman could tell, but I think you really had a year of living... Hard, crazy, intense... How many hours without rest, did have your days? Anyhow, good work.
Best wishes, PF

Likes Math100, erobz and pinball1970
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, @erobz, amazing, but, did you take the time to sleep the mandatory hours? I haven't got a clue, @berkeman could tell, but I think you really had a year of living... Hard, crazy, intense... How many hours without rest, did have your days? Anyhow, good work.
Best wishes, PF
In my 20's I didn't notice it. I'm high strung, looking back always have been. In college I was certainly drowsy reading textbooks, but nothing I wasn't used to. I think I always had sleep problems and didn't know it. But my extremely poor performance in high school was also my choice to hang out with a crowd that had less than no interest in learning from books.

Now, at almost 40 on anxiety medication and sleeping pills just recently. You may not believe this, but 2 months ago I went 2 full weeks, having less than 10 hours cumulative sleep by my estimation - my wife can confirm! I had no idea anxiety could do that to you...Also, google searching led me to prions disease- inability to sleep - Fatal Familial Insomnia. It sent me into a loop a panic driven by lack of sleep, and lack of sleep driving panic attacks. I almost cracked. I still only sleep 4-5 hrs. a day even with the pills, but I feel much better now.

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes Math100 and pinball1970
erobz said:
I still only sleep 4-5 hrs. a day even with the pills, but I feel much better now.
Same as me. Same hours. Same pills, probably 🤣
I've recently noticed that the more I sleep, the better I get along at everything (studies, work, communication skills - in my context, this last means I tend to listen to the folk I'm in front of, instead of myself...).
Best wishes, truly.
Marcos

Likes pinball1970 and erobz
I guess this just reinforces the point that there are different levels to average... I'm farther away from @Frabjous ( who understands what's even being talked about in the excerpt), than Frabjous is from Schwinger!

Consuming way too much alcohol, listening to Queen and Led Zeppelin, being frustrated by not understanding Hawking's Brief history of time, reading Brian Greene on string theory and spending most of my time playing the piano.

Leaving no room for school, now I think about it.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356, collinsmark, erobz and 1 other person
Hmmm,I can't seem to remember what I was doing at 16.

• Haha
Likes mcastillo356
gleem said:
Hmmm,I can't seem to remember what I was doing at 16.
That bad huh... :smile:

HMMM, let's see if I can remember that far back...

Climbed and painted some obnoxious messages on the water tower.
Hitchhiked for the first time.
Started a boat project that I never finished because it was beyond my abilities.
Learned that I could stay up all night and still go to school the next day.
Beer parties, except that it was actually homemade wine.
A 50 mile bicycle trip.

That's about it.

Likes mcastillo356 and erobz
haushofer said:
Consuming way too much alcohol, listening to Queen and Led Zeppelin, being frustrated by not understanding Hawking's Brief history of time, reading Brian Greene on string theory and spending most of my time playing the piano.

Leaving no room for school, now I think about it.

Some significant overlap with Homer Simpson's youth, right there.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes mcastillo356 and erobz