Hear Yanny or Laurel Debate: What Do You Hear?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the "yanny vs laurel" debate and the different points at which people hear one or the other. Some people hear both at certain positions on a slider, while others can selectively hear one or the other. The conversation also mentions a similar audio illusion with the words "brainstorm" and "green needle."
Physics news on Phys.org
Now that this meme has seen such a tremendous spread, its discoverer can finally rest on their Yannys.

Likes Swamp Thing, Ryan_m_b and Asymptotic
I have no idea how someone can year "yanny." I got "laurel" all the time.

I've been seeing this Laurel vs. Yanny stuff for the last day or so, but not knowing what it was about. After listening to the original audio (I hear Laurel) found another pair of clips which might point toward an explanation. Don't go into the spoiler until having listened to the original.

Pitch-varied version #1.
In this clip, when pitch is lowered I no longer hear 'Laurel', but rather 'Jerry'.

Version #2 (now I hear 'Yanny') offers a reasonable explanation behind the phenomena.

It has me wondering whether individual variations in pitch recognition doesn't also play a role. My perception of relative pitch is reasonably acute (2 to 3 cents), but have lousy absolute pitch, while some people are nearly tone deaf and a difference of 50 cents doesn't phase them.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
It's interesting...I now know the cause.

I don't see how anyone can possibly confuse Yanni and Laurel:

Likes Asymptotic
Greg Bernhardt said:
At what point do you hear Yanny vs Laurel?
I have to go to the penultimate tick to hear something else than Laurel, and it then sounds more like "yally" than "Yanny."

Likes Klystron and russ_watters
For me the critical position is half a click left of centre. What's surprising is how precise the critical position is. There is only a narrow band where I hear both, as if two people are speaking.

CWatters said:
For me the critical position is half a click left of centre. What's surprising is how precise the critical position is. There is only a narrow band where I hear both, as if two people are speaking.
Yeah, me too except that my "double speech" spot is just to the right of center. I got even more weird results though. In the middle I hear Laurel, clearly. As I moved the slide to the right I immediately started hearing Yanni. Then as I moved it back, I heard Laurel in position where I had at first heard Yanni. This is all very weird.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Yeah, me too except that my "double speech" spot is just to the right of center. I got even more weird results though. In the middle I heart Laurel, clearly. As I moved the slide to the right I immediately started hearing Yanni. Then as I moved it back, I heard Laurel in position where I had at first heard Yanni. This is all very weird.

I didn't hear Yanny until I'd cranked the slider almost all the way to the right but had the same thing where moving it back caused that perception to stick for a good chunk of the slider.

Likes Tom.G
I can selectively hear either one without changing the slider by choosing which one I want to hear. Like those 'double picture' optical illusions.

Related to Hear Yanny or Laurel Debate: What Do You Hear?

What is the "Hear Yanny or Laurel Debate"?

The "Hear Yanny or Laurel Debate" is an internet phenomenon that started in May 2018 when an audio recording was posted on social media asking listeners whether they heard the word "Yanny" or "Laurel". The recording quickly went viral and sparked a debate as people claimed to hear different words.

Why do some people hear "Yanny" while others hear "Laurel"?

The reason for this phenomenon is due to differences in how our brains perceive sound. The recording is a combination of different sound frequencies, and depending on the sensitivity of an individual's ears and the frequency range they are most attuned to, they may hear either "Yanny" or "Laurel".

Is there a correct answer to what is being said in the recording?

No, there is no correct answer. The recording itself is ambiguous, and both "Yanny" and "Laurel" can be heard depending on the individual's perception. It is a matter of personal interpretation and there is no right or wrong answer.

Can people's perception of the recording change?

Yes, people's perception of the recording can change over time or with repeated listening. Factors such as the quality of the audio, the device used to listen, and the individual's state of mind can also affect their perception.

What does the "Yanny" or "Laurel" recording tell us about the human brain?

The "Yanny" or "Laurel" recording is a prime example of how the human brain can interpret sensory information differently. It highlights the complexity of our perception and how it can be influenced by various factors. It also shows the individuality of perception and how different people can have different interpretations of the same stimulus.