What Types and Levels of Math for Compsci?

In summary, Warren is looking into majoring in computer science and is wondering what level and kinds of math would be needed to do well in the field. He recommends taking calculus, discrete math, linear algebra, vector geometry, and differential equations, and also recommends self-teaching yourself and building up a portfolio.
SF49erfan
Hello everyone,

I will be an incoming freshman next academic year at my local uni.

I've been looking at and talking about majors with my friends and family and many mentioned that computer science was a very in demand, practical, and lucrative field (well, relatively lucrative, lol :-p).

I've always been a very average math and science student in high school. I got mostly B's and A-'s, but rarely ever got an "A." To be honest, I think a lot of that had to do with work ethic, as I didn't always put in the long hours some of my peers did.

Although I'm currently not as interested in other science fields as a potential major, computer science is the one "science" that really sounds intriguing to me. I've always loved working on computers and the thought of doing some kind of programming on one sounds quite neat to me.

Anyhow, I am wondering what level and kinds of math would be needed to do computer science? How math savy do you guys think a person would have to be in order to do well in computer science?

Physics news on Phys.org
Being in the industry already, good luck trying to get the job you want without having a portfolio. Self teach yourself and build up your portfolio now if you want a chance. There are plenty of programmers but rare to find good ones. Math courses I would take freshman year:
Calculus 1
If you haven't already, take discrete mathematics ASAP
And plan to start today, your time is limited and you need to work hard to get good.

Computer science makes pretty heavy use of some kinds of math, particularly discrete math, linear algebra, vector geometry, and the like. On the other hand, many pure math topics like real & complex analysis, abstract algebra, group theory, and differential geometry are not used at all.

Have a look at the curriculum for the university you'd like to attend. Here's the curriculum for Virginia Tech's program, which is probably pretty similar to the programs at most other schools:

http://www.cs.vt.edu/files/files/Checksheets/CSMajorChecksheet2013_Final.pdf

It includes three semesters of calculus, plus linear algebra, vector geometry, discrete math, differential equations, and combinatorics. It also leaves some spots for elective classes, which may include some additional math. I suppose you could say the CS curriculum is maybe 25% math, and most of the required classes are pretty easy by the standards of pure math majors. You can do it!

- Warren

Related to What Types and Levels of Math for Compsci?

1. What types of math are used in computer science?

Some of the most common types of math used in computer science include algebra, discrete math, calculus, statistics, and linear algebra. These areas of math help computer scientists understand and analyze algorithms, data structures, and coding solutions.

2. How important is math in computer science?

Math is essential in computer science as it provides the foundation for understanding complex algorithms, data structures, and programming concepts. It also helps in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are crucial skills for computer scientists.

3. What level of math is required for computer science?

The level of math required for computer science varies depending on the specific field or specialization. In general, a solid understanding of algebra and calculus is necessary, and some fields may require knowledge of more advanced math topics such as linear algebra and statistics.

4. Do I need to be good at math to study computer science?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to be a math genius to study computer science. With hard work and dedication, anyone can learn and excel in the math concepts required for computer science.

5. How can I improve my math skills for computer science?

One of the best ways to improve math skills for computer science is to practice regularly. This can include solving math problems, working on coding challenges, and taking online courses or tutorials. It is also beneficial to seek help from tutors or professors if needed.