What to Consider When Choosing a Graduate Program

In summary, the conversation discusses a guide that has been put together for new and prospective graduate students on how to pick a professor and project, as well as potential pitfalls to watch out for. The guide covers topics such as choosing the size of your group, the right project, and keeping an eye on tenure status. It also touches on equipment and funding, and getting along with your group. The person asks for feedback on the helpfulness of the guide and mentions a similar guide that has already been created by ZapperZ.
subSquall
Having recently finished grad school, I've put together a guide for new and prospective graduate students on picking a prof and a project, as well as pitfalls to watch out for:

http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com/2009/05/guide-to-graduate-school.html"

I thought it would be useful, especially in this economy ;) and this is the time of year people are finalizing their choice of school/prof/project

A brief outline:
-Picking a professor
-Choosing the size of your group
-Choosing the right project
-Keeping an eye on tenure status
-Equipment and Funding
-Getting Along with your group

Please let me know if this article is helpful and/or if anything should be added

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
More opinions never hurt...

Related to What to Consider When Choosing a Graduate Program

What is the purpose of a "Guide to Graduate School"?

A "Guide to Graduate School" is a comprehensive resource that provides information and advice for individuals interested in pursuing a graduate degree. It typically includes details about the application process, program requirements, funding options, and career opportunities.

What should I consider when choosing a graduate school?

When choosing a graduate school, there are several factors to consider. These may include the program's reputation, location, cost, faculty, research opportunities, and overall fit with your academic and career goals.

How can I prepare for the graduate school application process?

To prepare for the graduate school application process, you should research the programs you are interested in, study for any required standardized tests, gather letters of recommendation, and prepare a strong personal statement. It is also important to meet any application deadlines and submit all necessary materials in a timely manner.

What types of funding are available for graduate school?

There are various types of funding available for graduate school, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and loans. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the application process.

What can I expect from a graduate school program?

Graduate school programs typically involve advanced coursework, independent research or projects, and opportunities for professional development. The expectations and requirements may vary depending on the specific program and field of study, but generally, graduate school requires a higher level of academic rigor and self-motivation compared to undergraduate studies.