What should I study to prepare for Calculus I and II

In summary, the speaker discusses their experience taking a calculus readiness test through the math and physics institute in their area. They were placed in the most difficult section and plan to take Calculus I and II, as well as engineering physics in their senior year. They express a passion for math and physics and a desire to achieve a 4.0 GPA. They ask for advice on which topics to study and how to succeed in college math and physics classes. The summary suggests that being comfortable with algebra and trigonometry, as well as studying diligently, can lead to success in calculus. Good luck is also wished to the speaker.
KC_Smallz
I recently took a calculus readiness given by a special program for high school students in my area called the math and physics institute (MPI) to see which math and physics classes I would be taking my senior year. I scored well enough to be placed in the most difficult section of the program in which I will be taking Calculus I and II, and engineering physics. I am not the greatest at math (usually get B's), nor am I the greatest at physics (A-), but I do have a passion for them. I would like to try my hardest to get a 4.0 GPA in my senior year, and so I plan to study calculus this summer. The problem is I don't know exactly which topics to study. I would also appreciate any advice regarding how to succeed in college math and physics classes.

Physics news on Phys.org
To do well in calculus, you should be very comfortable with algebra and trig. Be prepared to study a lot and you'll do fine. Good luck :smile:!

Related to What should I study to prepare for Calculus I and II

1. What is the best math course to take before Calculus I and II?

The best math course to take before Calculus I and II is Algebra II. This course covers important concepts such as functions, graphing, and solving equations, which are all essential for understanding Calculus.

2. Is it necessary to take Precalculus before Calculus I and II?

While it is not a requirement, it is highly recommended to take Precalculus before Calculus I and II. Precalculus covers topics such as trigonometry and advanced algebra, which are used extensively in Calculus.

3. Do I need a strong background in geometry to do well in Calculus I and II?

A strong background in geometry is not crucial for success in Calculus I and II. However, understanding basic geometric concepts such as angles, shapes, and equations of lines can be helpful in understanding some Calculus topics.

4. Are there any specific topics or skills I should focus on to prepare for Calculus I and II?

Yes, some important topics and skills to focus on include algebraic manipulation, graphing and solving equations, understanding functions and their properties, and basic trigonometry. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as fractions, decimals, and exponents.

5. Are there any online resources or study materials that can help me prepare for Calculus I and II?

Yes, there are many online resources and study materials available to help prepare for Calculus I and II. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. Additionally, most textbooks used for Calculus courses have online resources and practice problems available for students to use.