What should I prepare for transfer?

• Thread starter Acuben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, people are saying that you need to prepare for the essay, resume, and transcript, but it all depends on the school you are applying to. You should also google search sample resumes to get an idea.
Acuben
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/apply-online/index.html
I still have time. I will be applying this coming July/Aug (??whever it is)
I want to transfer to any UCs (although CSU long beach, private school such as USC is also my choice, but I'm trying to avoid private schools)
mostly UCLA, UCSD, UC Irvine

What should I prepare before transfer? I know it sounds like a basic question, but I'm bothered by "resume"

I'm just going to list what I know...
-Online application
-Application fee ( don't know how it is being sent yet...)
-Essay
-Personal Statement
-Resume?
-College transcript
-High scool transcript?

here's my question...They are basic, but I do want to know the exact information (why is it that everyone gives me different information ? -_-)

1. Do I need high school transcript?
2. some people are saying resume is needed. Some are not. Is resume required? (some format as in as I am applying for a job?)
3. is there anything else I'm forgetting?
4. is essay the same as personal statement? Or different? or part of personal statement?
I was sick for a year and I need to explain that that is the reason of sudden drop on my grade on my personal statement, but if essay is same as personal statement,
I don't know how I could explain that when I need to answer the essay question. (unless I blend it in somehow)
Your personal statement should be exactly that -- personal. This is your opportunity to tell us about yourself -- your hopes, ambitions, life experiences, inspirations. We encourage you to take your time on this assignment. Be open. Be reflective. Find your individual voice and express it honestly.
5. People tell me to think about essay for a long time, instead of just writing on the last moment.
How am I supposed to prepare the essay beforehand if UC changes essay topics every year?
(and topic for 2012fall isn't out yet..: the one on the link provided that said 11-12 is application for 2011Fall)

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm going to bump this thread just this once and if no one replies, let it die out.

Usually these are questions easily answered by the admissions counselor in the respective schools you are looking to apply to. I would visit:

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.c...d=university+of+california&searchType=college

to see the deadlines to when you can apply. You may still be able to apply even if you late but it hinders your chances. Your High school transcript is probably still on file in your high school, call them up and ask for it to be mailed to the schools of your choice. the college transcript is of course a must.

I suggest you google search sample resumes to get an idea but basically it should be about a page listing activities, awards, academic institutions you've attended (usually college and high schools), and your current GPA.

It is much better to contact your willing school representative to have exact information on the process. The information based on different institutes may vary according to some factors and that creates thing complicated.

I would suggest starting your preparation for transfer by thoroughly researching the application requirements and deadlines for the UC schools you are interested in. This will ensure that you have all the necessary materials and information ready in a timely manner. In terms of what to prepare, it is important to have your transcripts, both from college and high school, as well as any standardized test scores (SAT, ACT, etc.) ready to submit. Additionally, you will need to complete the online application and pay the application fee. As for the essay and personal statement, it is important to take your time and think about what you want to convey about yourself. The personal statement should be a reflection of who you are as a person and your unique experiences and aspirations. The essay may be a different prompt, but it is still an opportunity for you to showcase your writing skills and share more about yourself. It is a good idea to start thinking about potential topics and drafting your responses beforehand, but keep in mind that the essay topics may change each year. Lastly, if you have any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades or academic performance, it is important to address them in your personal statement or essay. This could include your illness during high school, but make sure to tie it into your overall story and how it has shaped you. Good luck with your transfer application!

Related to What should I prepare for transfer?

1. What is the process for transferring to a new institution?

The process for transferring to a new institution varies depending on the specific school and program you are transferring to. Generally, you will need to complete an application, submit transcripts and other required documents, and possibly attend an interview or provide letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for the institution you are interested in transferring to.

2. Can I transfer all of my credits to the new institution?

Most institutions have a credit transfer policy in place, so it is important to check with the school you are transferring to. Generally, credits from accredited institutions will transfer, but there may be limitations on the number of credits that can be applied towards your degree. It is also important to note that grades for transferred credits may not transfer, only the credits themselves.

3. How do I know if my current courses will transfer to the new institution?

The best way to determine if your current courses will transfer is to speak with an admissions counselor at the institution you are interested in transferring to. They will be able to evaluate your transcripts and give you an idea of which courses will transfer and which ones may not. It is also important to research the specific requirements for your intended major at the new institution.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for transfer?

Again, this will vary depending on the institution and program you are transferring to. It is important to research the specific requirements for your intended major and speak with an advisor at your current institution to ensure you are taking the necessary courses. In general, it is recommended to take courses that align with your intended major and that will transfer to the new institution.

5. Will my GPA from my current institution transfer to the new institution?

While your GPA may not transfer, the credits from your current institution will. This means that your GPA at the new institution will be based on the courses you take there. It is important to note that some institutions may have a minimum GPA requirement for transfer students, so it is important to research this beforehand.