What mathematical disciplines are useful for game engine development?

• Thread starter captaincorgi
  • Start date
In summary, game engine development involves the use of several mathematical disciplines, including linear algebra, calculus, and geometry. Linear algebra is used to represent and manipulate objects in 3D space, while calculus is used for physics simulations and motion calculations. Geometry is also important for collision detection and rendering. Additionally, knowledge of trigonometry, statistics, and probability can be helpful for creating realistic game mechanics and balancing gameplay. Overall, a strong foundation in math is essential for building complex and immersive game engines.
captaincorgi
Just stopping by to introduce myself. I'm a programmer trying to focus on game development, specifically in the area of game engine development. My maths background is weak compared to others. I've only learned enough to make 3D models move, light a scene, create shaders, etc. So pretty much lots of vector math.

I find it easier to understand Maths reading code and very interested in expanding my knowledge in different mathematical disciplines that can help me improve my renders.

Nice meeting you all! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! :smile: