What Masters Degree Should I Pursue to Achieve My Career Goals?

In summary, the person is a recent graduate with a B.S. in Applied Physics and is considering further education with their company's support. They are unsure of their career path but have three potential goals: becoming a professor, a game designer, or a CEO. They are seeking advice on which Master's degree to pursue and are interested in fields that involve hands-on learning and working with people. They are also considering a PhD and are open to suggestions from friends and family. Lastly, they are looking for a career that is both interesting and allows for interaction with others.

What to get a Master's in?

• Electrical Engineering

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Mechanical Engineering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Material Engineering

• Computer Engineering

• Computer Science

• Business (general)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Business (specific)

• Other

• Total voters
djcrum1107
Hello all! Not new to the forums but new to post.

I recently received my B.S. in Applied Physics with a minor in Math and Comp Sci and have entered the work force with a great company, but I don't want to stop there. I want to further my education and lucky for me my company pays for roughly 1 class a semester (which works with 40+ hours a week).

My problem is I have no idea which path I want to take. My three "end goals" would be in order:
1. Professor
2. Game Designer (side hobby when time permits but who knows when I retire)
3. CEO (or just climbing the corp ladder as high as possible)

Now I know that all require a ton of full time attention but I am in a spot where I can further my education towards whatever I want and all three of these might actually be possible down the line.

Now for the questions. What should I get my Master's in? Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, material engineering, computer science, business, or none of the above and something completely different?

I love learning how things work and I have always loved learning things that I can apply (theoretical physics = bad time). I like dabbling in chemistry but I never liked biology. I also don't want to get stuck behind a computer all day and get to work with people. Huge amounts of writing is to be expected I know but the more I can avoid the better.

I don't have to decide right away but I do want to start asap so I can get more than one and/or go for PhD. All inputs welcome! I'm even asking friend's parents and parent's friends who work in a technical/business tech field so anything would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I have very different tastes form yours; I just finished an MSc in theoretical chemistry (lots of theory, lots of physics and chemistry, lots of time spent alone thinking about programs and equations and no real life applications :P ), so I'd have hard time placing myself in your shoes. However I can tell you that if you don't want to be stuck behind a PC all day long, then game designer probably isn't for you (or computer science for that matter; my bro does that, so you can trust me). Business is probably a good idea if you really want to go up that corporate ladder, but doing a master in something a bit more interesting (like engineering or science) and then moving on to business is totally feasible as far as I know. Mechanical engineering always seemed to be a very broad field with many different specialtes and applications, so I'd pick that (but then again, I'm not you).

My only real advice, is pick something you think is going to be interesting, or else you're going to do a bad job, be bored for years and it's going to eat at your motivation. Read a bit about what doing a MSc in electrical engineering (for example) would actually entail. After that, you can think about the other factors.

djcrum1107 said:
1. Professor

Get deep knowledge in a subject, get a PhD and demonstrate that you're capable of teaching.

djcrum1107 said:
2. Game Designer (side hobby when time permits but who knows when I retire)

Design (and program) games.

djcrum1107 said:
3. CEO (or just climbing the corp ladder as high as possible)

Get yourself employed into a company where you want to make a career. Preferably also have some background in economics to have base knowledge in what it takes to manage business. Or start your own company.
djcrum1107 said:
I love learning how things work and I have always loved learning things that I can apply (theoretical physics = bad time).

Sounds like engineering (or science) to me.

djcrum1107 said:
I also don't want to get stuck behind a computer all day and get to work with people.

That's mostly a no for fields involving programming and computers, even though programming / software development jobs aren't lonely. If you get into managerial positions, then it's much less about being stuck behind a computer and not working with people. But to get there you either have to be an experienced developer and a good team leader or a hard business person.

Last edited:

Related to What Masters Degree Should I Pursue to Achieve My Career Goals?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree?

There are several potential benefits of pursuing a Masters degree. These include gaining specialized knowledge and skills in a particular field, increased job opportunities and earning potential, and the opportunity to network with other professionals in your field.

2. How do I decide what program to focus on for my Masters?

The best way to decide on a Masters program is to first identify your interests and career goals. Research different programs and consider factors such as the curriculum, faculty, and opportunities for hands-on experience or research. It can also be helpful to speak with current or former students in the program.

3. Should I focus on a specific area of study or have a more broad focus for my Masters?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you have a specific career path in mind, it may be beneficial to focus on a specialized area of study. However, if you are unsure of your future plans, a more broad focus may provide you with a diverse set of skills and knowledge.

4. How important is the reputation of the university when choosing a Masters program?

The reputation of a university can be an important factor to consider when choosing a Masters program. A well-known and highly ranked university may provide you with more resources and networking opportunities. However, it is also important to consider the specific program and its faculty rather than just the overall reputation of the university.

5. Can I work while pursuing my Masters degree?

Many Masters programs are designed to be completed while working, and offer flexible schedules or online options. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitments of your program to determine if working while studying is feasible for you. It may also be beneficial to speak with current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences balancing work and studies.