What low cost project can a physics student embark on?

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is studying industrial physics and renewable energy and is looking for a practical project that is not too expensive or complex. Suggestions were made to explain the concept of industrial physics and renewable energy and to showcase the evolution and importance of this field. The idea of using the internet to gather information and demonstrate information management skills was also suggested. The person is looking for a more practical project, but it is unclear what specific constraints they may have. An example of presenting the concept of industrial physics through a comparison of past and present methods was also given.
Harold139
Summary: i am studying industrial physics and renewable energy. i need a project i can easily do that is not too expensive and not very complex. Thanks

i am studying industrial physics and renewable energy. i need a project i can easily do that is not too expensive and not very complex. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you explain what "industrial physics and renewable energy " is, how it has evolved since the 1700s and what it means to the future. The internet is vast and showing how you attacked this idea and gathered information from the internet can be well documented and presented. Information management is essential for your field and showing how it can be done is a key insight, the path to the AI and problem-solving.

Likes Harold139 and anorlunda
Thank you for your reply. what i really want is something more practical.

I might be able to suggest something different but I do not know what you consider practical. My suggestion only required access to the internet, access to a printer and some means of presenting your results, basically a wall on which to past the printed images and text. What do you not find practical in this scenario? Perhaps there are project constraints that you have not shared with this forum?

Here is an example, from the phys site, we have a definition, "Industrial physics is the application of physics knowledge and principles to the design and manufacturing of products and services," You could present how, before people had such knowledge, they made products or developed and delivered services. You might also cover and show how knowledge does not always include understanding.

Related to What low cost project can a physics student embark on?

1. What are some examples of low cost physics projects for students?

Some examples of low cost physics projects for students include building a simple electric motor, creating a homemade telescope, designing and building a small-scale wind turbine, and constructing a basic pendulum to study motion and energy.

2. How can a physics student find inspiration for a low cost project?

One way to find inspiration for a low cost project is to browse online resources and forums dedicated to DIY science projects. Another option is to think about everyday objects and phenomena that can be studied and explained through physics principles, and then brainstorm ways to create a project around them.

3. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working on a low cost physics project?

Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when working on any project. Be sure to read and understand all instructions and warnings for any materials or tools used. It is also recommended to have adult supervision, especially for younger students.

4. How can a low cost physics project be made more challenging for advanced students?

To make a low cost physics project more challenging for advanced students, consider incorporating more complex concepts or variables into the project. This could include using advanced mathematical calculations or incorporating multiple scientific disciplines such as chemistry or biology.

5. Are there any resources available for low cost project materials?

Yes, there are many resources available for low cost project materials. Some options include using household items and recyclable materials, purchasing materials from discount or thrift stores, and reaching out to local businesses or organizations for donations or sponsorships. Additionally, many online retailers offer affordable science kits and supplies specifically designed for students.