What is the Young's Modulus and tensile strength of fuse wire?

In summary, fuse wire is a type of wire used for electrical fuses that has a Young's Modulus of around 0.2 GPa and a tensile strength of 10-20 MPa. Its exact properties may vary depending on the specific type and diameter of the wire.
phy124
Information for/properties of fuse wire

Homework Statement

Recently in physics class we were doing a practical activity, in which we were asked to obtain the value of Young's Modulus for certain materials.

One of the materials we tested was fuse wire. Here's where the problem comes in... we were asked for a ± error and we have no real value to test against.

Does anyone have information on fuse wire? i.e. the real Young's Modulus, approximate tensile strength etc.

I apologize if this post isn't filled out correctly, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsN/AThe Attempt at a SolutionThe Young’s Modulus of fuse wire is not a well-defined value, as it can vary depending on the type of metal and the diameter of the wire. However, a typical value for the Young’s Modulus of fuse wire is around 0.2 GPa (Giga Pascal). The tensile strength of fuse wire is typically in the range of 10-20 MPa (Mega Pascal).

Related to What is the Young's Modulus and tensile strength of fuse wire?

1. What is fuse wire?

Fuse wire is a type of electrical wire that is designed to melt and break the circuit when there is an excessive amount of current flowing through it. This helps to prevent damage to electrical equipment and potential electrical fires.

2. How does fuse wire work?

Fuse wire works by melting and breaking the circuit when there is an excessive amount of current flowing through it. This happens when the wire is heated up by the current, causing it to melt and create an open circuit, stopping the flow of electricity.

3. What is the purpose of fuse wire?

The purpose of fuse wire is to protect electrical equipment and prevent potential electrical fires by breaking the circuit when there is an excessive amount of current flowing through it. This helps to prevent damage to the equipment and ensures the safety of individuals.

4. How do I choose the right fuse wire for my needs?

The right fuse wire for your needs will depend on the amount of current your electrical equipment requires. It is important to choose a fuse wire with the appropriate amperage rating, as using a fuse wire with a higher rating can be dangerous and may not provide adequate protection.

5. Can I replace a fuse wire with any type of wire?

No, it is important to only use fuse wire for its intended purpose. Using any other type of wire may not provide the same level of protection and can be dangerous. It is important to always use the correct type of fuse wire for your electrical equipment.