What is the work done on a slingshot?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving an elastic force equation. The solution involves plugging in numbers, calculating work using force and distance, and taking into consideration the direction of stretching. However, it is pointed out that the work cannot be calculated simply by multiplying maximal displacement with maximal force, as the force is not constant. The correct solution involves using the integral of F dot dL.
Goofball Randy

Homework Statement

yo5tzZ8.png

Homework Equations

The given elastic force equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers, with 0.2m for the change in s and 45 for a. Since I knew that work was equal to force * distance, I multiplied that result by another 0.2m. This got me 0.0144J, or 14.4mJ. Since I knew that the slingshot was stretching in the direction you pull, the work had to be positive.

Unfortunately, my answer is incorrect. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that work is the INTEGRAL of F dot dL, not just straight multiplication!

Likes Goofball Randy
Goofball Randy said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers, with 0.2m for the change in s and 45 for a. Since I knew that work was equal to force * distance, I multiplied that result by another 0.2m. This got me 0.0144J, or 14.4mJ. Since I knew that the slingshot was stretching in the direction you pull, the work had to be positive.

Unfortunately, my answer is incorrect. :(

The force is not constant, the work can not be calculated by multiplying maximal displacement with maximal force.

Likes Goofball Randy
Thanks guys! Seems really obvious now that I remember it.

Related to What is the work done on a slingshot?

What is work done on a slingshot?

The work done on a slingshot refers to the energy that is exerted on the slingshot to pull back the elastic material, which stores potential energy that is then released to launch a projectile.

What factors affect the amount of work done on a slingshot?

The amount of work done on a slingshot is affected by the tension of the elastic material, the distance it is pulled back, and the mass of the projectile being launched.

How is the work done on a slingshot calculated?

The work done on a slingshot can be calculated using the equation W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

Can work be done on a slingshot without launching a projectile?

Yes, work can be done on a slingshot without launching a projectile. When the elastic material is pulled back, potential energy is stored, but it is not released until the projectile is launched.

What are the potential applications of understanding work done on a slingshot?

Understanding work done on a slingshot can have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can also be used in the design and development of slingshots for recreational or military purposes.