Solving Slingshot Problem Homework

• Thread starter Krashy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slingshot
In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation but was confused by the directions. He found that the forces were not of a specific length and that the input (kinetic energy) was not correctly calculated.
Krashy

Homework Statement

slingshot question.png

slingshot annex.JPG

Homework Equations

Elastic potential energy = 1/2 * C * u^2

Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2

Efficiency = useful output/total input

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My main problem is to find the length of tension force. From the graph i can see that 12 cm corresponds to 100N, so i just need to find the length of the tension in cm and i can determine it in Newton. The solution states the tension forces are approximately 5.1cm long but i really can't figure out why, for me it seems they kinda arbitrarily picked a point on the slingshot but this can't be the reason.

b) I got it

c) So if i use the formula for kinetic energy i get: Ek = 1/2 * 26*10^-3 kg * (9.3 ms^-1)^2 = 1.12 J.
But i don't know how to calculate the total energy input for the efficiency in this question. The solution says its 7.2J but i thought it should be the 6.0J from b)I hope someone can explain it to me, thanks for every answer.

Attachments

• slingshot question.png
    slingshot question.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,753
  • slingshot annex.JPG
    slingshot annex.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,013
Physics news on Phys.org
The meaning of 'extension' of the rubber band is given in the text. Its direction is not along the length of the band but along the direction of the force !
Krashy said:
The solution states the tension forces are approximately 5.1cm long
That would really surprise me: tension forces do not have a length.

What surprises me about your picture is that both halves of the rubber band have 8.5 cm. On my screen I measure 9.5 and 10.5 cm, a considerable difference! Did you take the picture at an angle ?
Anyway, the two halves of the band combined exert 100 N. Your task is to decompose that in two tension forces along the two sections of the band. Do you know how to do that ?

I find it confusing that your exercises are numbered 7, 8, 9, and your answers are 'lettered' a), b), c).

Re c) : apparently you have a solution (manual?) at hand. How come it does not help you to undertand part b) ?

I have no idea where the 7.2 J could come from.

Thanks for your reply,
i thought i measured correctly but I am not sure. The 7,8,9 was a mistake in the problem, they are equivalent to a), b), c). Here are the solutions:

solutions.png

But if they have a combined force 100N, then the tension force of one side needs to be 50N, right?

Attachments

• solutions.png
    solutions.png
    48 KB · Views: 774
Krashy said:
then the tension force of one side needs to be 50N
Forces are vectors. Do you know how to add vectors ?

I still don't see why the 6J in b) magically changes to 7.2 j in c). Must be an oversight.

Likes Krashy
Yeah i think i know that, but if each side is 8.5cm long and 9cm = 100N, than one side of 8.5cm = 94N, right? Sorry this problem really confuses me. Do i need to mirror the 9cm on the other side and use trigonometry to solve for the middle side between the other 2 sides?

Nevermind, i got it thank you very much for your help!

Related to Solving Slingshot Problem Homework

1. How do I approach solving a Slingshot Problem homework?

First, familiarize yourself with the problem and identify all the given information. Then, use the equations and principles of physics related to slingshot motion to solve for the unknown variables. Make sure to show all your work and double-check your calculations.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a Slingshot Problem homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect equations, not converting units properly, and not considering all the forces acting on the projectile. It is also important to use the correct sign conventions for velocity and acceleration.

3. How do I handle a Slingshot Problem with multiple objects?

For problems with multiple objects, it is important to consider the interactions and forces between all objects. You may need to use vector addition to determine the net force and acceleration on each object. It is also important to keep track of the individual positions and velocities of each object.

4. Can I use real-world data to solve a Slingshot Problem homework?

Yes, you can use real-world data to solve a Slingshot Problem homework. However, make sure to accurately measure and convert all the necessary variables, such as distance and time, and take into account any external factors that may affect the results.

5. What are some tips for solving a Slingshot Problem homework quickly and efficiently?

Some tips for solving a Slingshot Problem homework quickly and efficiently include organizing your work, using a systematic approach, and practicing with similar problems beforehand. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and to check your answer using estimation or a different method.