What is the Voltage Output in a Complex Network Using KCL and Voltage Dividers?

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the person was able to do most of the exercises, but this one gave them trouble. They wanted to find the voltage across a resistor, and after trying different methods they found that voltage dividers could help.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
I was able to do most of the exercises, but this one gave me some trouble. I want to find ##V_o##.

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 1.48.52 PM.png

My gut is telling me to use KCL, and applying it to the top left node above the 6k resistor yields:

##\frac{V_o}{2000} + 2 \times 10^{-3} - \frac{V_s}{6000} - \frac{V_s}{3000} = 0##

I am now somewhat unsure how to proceed. I know the potential across the branches is ##V_s##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write another equation for the branch with the two resistors and Vo. The equation should relate Vo to the voltage Vs (the voltage of the node). Then you'll have something to replace Vo in your node equation, leaving you with just one unknown.

gneill said:
Write another equation for the branch with the two resistors and Vo. The equation should relate Vo to the voltage Vs (the voltage of the node). Then you'll have something to replace Vo in your node equation, leaving you with just one unknown.

I suspected I was trying to relate ##V_s## and ##V_o##, but I can't see it for some reason. Probably due to hunger. Applying KVL didn't seem to give me anything useful, so I'm still a bit unsure what to do.

The only equation I can see is: ##V_s = V_o + V_x## where ##V_x## is the voltage across the 1k.

The potential at the top node is ##V_s##. That branch with ##V_o## looks like a voltage divider to me... ;)

Likes STEMucator
gneill said:
The potential at the top node is ##V_s##. That branch with ##V_o## looks like a voltage divider to me... ;)

I can't believe I forgot entirely about voltage dividers.

So I guess I could just say that ##V_o = [\frac{2k}{1k + 2k}]V_s = \frac{2}{3} V_s##

Subbing this into the KCL equation gives ##V_s = 12 V##, which then subbing back gives ##V_o = 8 V##.

I'm going to go eat now, thank you.

Related to What is the Voltage Output in a Complex Network Using KCL and Voltage Dividers?

1. How do I find the value of v_o in a network?

To find the value of v_o in a network, you need to use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. First, use Kirchhoff's laws to find the voltage and current at each node in the network. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage drop across each component. Finally, use Kirchhoff's voltage law to add up the voltage drops and solve for v_o.

2. What is the importance of finding v_o in a network?

Finding v_o in a network allows you to determine the output voltage of the network, which is important for analyzing the behavior and performance of the network. It can also help in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

3. Can I use a multimeter to measure v_o in a network?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to measure v_o in a network. Set the multimeter to measure voltage and connect the probes across the component you want to measure the voltage drop for. The reading on the multimeter will be the value of v_o.

4. What factors can affect the value of v_o in a network?

The value of v_o in a network can be affected by various factors such as the values of the components in the network, the power supply, the temperature, and the type of circuit (e.g. AC or DC). Changes in any of these factors can result in a different value of v_o.

5. How can I calculate v_o in a network with multiple sources?

If a network has multiple sources, you can use the principle of superposition to calculate v_o. This involves analyzing the network with only one source at a time and then combining the results using Kirchhoff's superposition law. Alternatively, you can also use mesh or nodal analysis to solve for v_o in a network with multiple sources.