Solving Voltage Source Nodal Analysis: Find Vo

In summary: All we need to do is find the voltage at the node that corresponds to the current we calculated.In summary, the book is teaching how to solve a problem using nodal analysis. They are also teaching how to find voltages at nodes. The problem is finding voltages at nodes when a voltage source is connected between ground and a node. They show how to find voltages at nodes when a voltage source is connected between ground and a voltage.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Use nodal analysis to find ##V_o##.

Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 1.57.45 PM.png

Homework Equations

##\sum I = 0##
##I = V/R##

The Attempt at a Solution

So the book started throwing voltage sources into nodal analysis and I'm a bit unsure about this problem. The answer is listed as ##V_o = 3.89 V##.

All they have taught so far is to apply KCL to find the node voltages. Also, if a voltage source is connected between ground and a node, then the voltage at that node is equal to the voltage of the source.

This leads me to an important question about the problem at hand. I believe ground is located directly beneath the ##12 V## independent voltage. So couldn't I say directly above the voltage source and below the resistor is some ##V_x = 12 V##?

Finding the voltage ##V_2## across the middle branch has proven to be troublesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know how to apply KCL at nodes right. I am following these notations as you have not marked node voltages in your figure.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 413
Likes STEMucator
Since we know the voltage below 6kohm resistor is 12 V and at the node we have considered V2 in the middle branch (that is V2 is the voltage across the whole middle branch).
Thus we can see that voltage drop across 6kohm resistor is (V2 -12 ),now as we know the voltage drop we can calculate the current through 6kohm resistor by using ohm's law (Voltage drop/current).

lazyaditya said:
You do know how to apply KCL at nodes right. I am following these notations as you have not marked node voltages in your figure.

Yes I know how to use KCL and I had those equations a while ago.

lazyaditya said:
Since we know the voltage below 6kohm resistor is 12 V and at the node we have considered V2 in the middle branch (that is V2 is the voltage across the whole middle branch).
Thus we can see that voltage drop across 6kohm resistor is (V2 -12 ),now as we know the voltage drop we can calculate the current through 6kohm resistor by using ohm's law (Voltage drop/current).

This post was helpful I was unsure about how to treat the ##12 V## source. I see now that we can use the difference between ##V_2## and the source to find the current across that branch.

The rest is easy.

Likes lazyaditya

Yes, you are correct in thinking that the voltage at the node directly above the voltage source is 12 V. This is because the voltage source is connected between that node and ground, so the voltage at that node must be equal to the voltage of the source.

To find the voltage at node 2, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to set up an equation for the voltage around the loop containing the voltage source, resistor, and node 2. This equation would be: ##V_2 + 12 V - 10 V = 0##, since the voltage across the resistor is equal to the voltage drop across the voltage source (since they are connected in series). Solving for ##V_2##, we get ##V_2 = -2 V##.

Now, we can use KCL to set up an equation for the current at node 2: ##I_2 = (12 V - V_2)/10 Ω = (12 V - (-2 V))/10 Ω = 1.4 A##.

Finally, we can use Ohm's Law to find the voltage across the resistor: ##V_R = I_2 * R = 1.4 A * 5 Ω = 7 V##.

Since the voltage at node 2 is -2 V and the voltage across the resistor is 7 V, we can use KVL to find the voltage at node 1: ##V_1 + 7 V - 10 V = 0##. Solving for ##V_1##, we get ##V_1 = 3 V##.

Therefore, the voltage at node 1 (which is also ##V_o##) is 3 V, which is close to the answer of 3.89 V listed in the book. This difference could be due to rounding or small errors in calculations.

In summary, nodal analysis is a powerful tool for solving circuits with multiple voltage sources. By using KVL and KCL, we can set up equations to solve for the unknown node voltages and currents. Remember to carefully consider the direction of current flow and the polarity of voltage sources when setting up these equations.

Related to Solving Voltage Source Nodal Analysis: Find Vo

1. What is voltage source nodal analysis?

Voltage source nodal analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electrical circuits that contain voltage sources. It involves creating a set of simultaneous equations based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law, which can then be solved to find the voltage at a specific node in the circuit.

2. How is voltage source nodal analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Unlike other circuit analysis methods, such as mesh analysis or Thevenin's theorem, voltage source nodal analysis does not require any specific direction for the current flow. It is based on the principle that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

3. What are the steps involved in solving voltage source nodal analysis?

The first step is to label all the nodes in the circuit and assign a reference node. Then, write down KCL equations for each node, using Ohm's Law to express the currents in terms of the voltages at each node. Next, solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage at the desired node. Finally, use the voltage to calculate any other currents or voltages in the circuit.

4. What are some tips for solving voltage source nodal analysis?

One helpful tip is to label all the unknown voltages as variables and use a consistent sign convention for the currents. Another tip is to choose the reference node in a way that minimizes the number of unknown voltages. Additionally, it can be helpful to redraw the circuit or use a circuit solving software to visualize the connections between nodes.

5. What are some common mistakes when using voltage source nodal analysis?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include all the voltage sources in the KCL equations, using the wrong sign convention for the currents, or incorrectly labeling the nodes in the circuit. It is also important to double-check the final solution and ensure that it satisfies all the given equations and conditions.