What is the torque needed to lift a weight with a lever?

In summary, Homework Equations: -Torque=one of the forces x the perpendicular distance-moment=force x perpendicular distance-The Attempt at a Solution: -moment of pulling the weight up around the disc: -1.2/2 = 0.6 m-0.6-0.2 = 0.4 m-moment= 0.4 x 900 = 360 Nm-To lift it, the torque of the rod has to be 360 Nm too-So, -F x 1.2 = 360-F = 300 N
Priyadarshini

Homework Statement

upload_2015-12-27_19-50-1.png

Homework Equations

Torque=one of the forces x the perpendicular distance
moment=force x perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

moment of pulling the weight up around the disc:
1.2/2 = 0.6 m
0.6-0.2 = 0.4 m
moment= 0.4 x 900 = 360 Nm
To lift it, the torque of the rod has to be 360 Nm too
So,
F x 1.2 = 360
F = 300 N

But the answer is 150N

Physics news on Phys.org
Priyadarshini said:
But the answer is 150N
Hi Priyadarshini:

Your description of your solution omits some details, so I am not sure where you went astray. I suggest thinking about the problem in terms of mechanical advantage.
What is the mechanical advantage of the 2F force (1F on each end of the lever) applied at its radius compared with the 900N force applies at the radius if the disc?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Priyadarshini:

Your description of your solution omits some details, so I am not sure where you went astray. I suggest thinking about the problem in terms of mechanical advantage.
What is the mechanical advantage of the 2F force (1F on each end of the lever) applied at its radius compared with the 900N force applies at the radius if the disc?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Hi,
What exactly do you mean by mechanical advantage?

Try calculating the torque on the vertical shaft due to the 900N force. The two forces F must create a torque at least as great.

Hi, finding the minimum force is the same as saying that the torque of the disk has the same magnitude of the torque of the lever

T (lever) = F*d where d= 1.20 m
T (disk)= W*R where R is the radius of the disk and W is the weight

T (lever)= T (disk)

Last edited by a moderator:
Priyadarshini said:
0.6-0.2 = 0.4 m
This does not calculate anything useful. What physical law are you planning to use this in?
It's the ratio of the two distances that's interesting, not the difference.

CWatters said:
Try calculating the torque on the vertical shaft due to the 900N force. The two forces F must create a torque at least as great.
Isn't that 0.4*900?

Cozma Alex said:
Hi, finding the minimum force is the same as saying that the torque of the disk has the same magnitude of the torque of the lever

T (lever) = F*d where d= 1.20 m
T (disk)= W*R where R is the radius of the disk and W is the weight

T (lever)= T (disk)
why do we take the radius of the disc instead of half the rod minus the radius of the disc? Isn't the turning point on the circumference of the disc where the string starts to rotate around the disc?

haruspex said:
This does not calculate anything useful. What physical law are you planning to use this in?
It's the ratio of the two distances that's interesting, not the difference.
I thought that 0.4 was the perpendicular distance from the pivot for calculating the torque of the disc, which is why I subtracted.

Priyadarshini said:
why do we take the radius of the disc instead of half the rod minus the radius of the disc? Isn't the turning point on the circumference of the disc where the string starts to rotate around the disc?
No, both rod and disc rotate about an axis through their centres.
I suppose you could consider that the not-yet-wound string instantaneously rotates about the point of contact with the disc, but since it exerts no torque about that point it is quite irrelevant.

haruspex said:
No, both rod and disc rotate about an axis through their centres.
I suppose you could consider that the not-yet-wound string instantaneously rotates about the point of contact with the disc, but since it exerts no torque about that point it is quite irrelevant.
How do you know that the string at the contact point of the disc doesn't exert any torque?

Priyadarshini said:
How do you know that the string at the contact point of the disc doesn't exert any torque?
I meant its rotation about the contact point exerts no torque. It is a flexible string, not a rigid lever. Only the tension in the string exerts a torque, but that has no moment about the contact point: torque = force x perpendicular distance, and the distance from the string to the contact point is zero.
The torque of interest exerted by the tension is at the disc's axis.

The string exerts a torque at the contact point of the disk (F*R), the torque is because of the 900 N force, to balance this torque you need the torque of the lever that is needed to be minimum equal to the torque at the disk

Cozma Alex said:
The string exerts a torque at the contact point of the disk, the torque is because of the 900 N force, to balance this torque you need the torque of the lever that is needed to be minimum equal to the torque at the disk

haruspex said:
I meant its rotation about the contact point exerts no torque. It is a flexible string, not a rigid lever. Only the tension in the string exerts a torque, but that has no moment about the contact point: torque = force x perpendicular distance, and the distance from the string to the contact point is zero.
The torque of interest exerted by the tension is at the disc's axis.
Oh, I see! Thank you. It works now.

Priyadarshini said:
Isn't that 0.4*900?

0.2 * 900

CWatters said:
0.2 * 900
Thanks.

Related to What is the torque needed to lift a weight with a lever?

What are torques and moments?

Torques and moments are both concepts related to rotational motion. Torque is the measure of the turning force applied to an object, while moment is the product of the force and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

How are torques and moments related to each other?

Torque is a type of moment, specifically the moment of force. Moments can also refer to the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

What is a lever and how does it work?

A lever is a simple machine consisting of a rigid beam or bar that pivots around a fixed point called a fulcrum. Levers work by using the principle of torque to amplify or redirect applied forces.

What are the three classes of levers?

The three classes of levers are determined by the relative positions of the fulcrum, effort force, and resistance force. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is between the effort and resistance forces. In a second-class lever, the resistance force is between the fulcrum and effort force. In a third-class lever, the effort force is between the fulcrum and resistance force.

How are levers used in everyday life?

Levers are used in many common tools and machines, such as scissors, pliers, seesaws, and wheelbarrows. They are also present in many biological systems, such as the human body where bones and muscles act as levers to produce movement.