Min force to lever to lift weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of couple and how it applies to a specific scenario involving a disc and a pulley. The individual is trying to calculate the correct force to balance out the couple exerted by a 900 N weight. There is a discussion about using the diameter of the disc to calculate the couple, but it is not the correct approach. The correct answer is determined to be B and there is a question about the elements of the couple and their specific forces and distances. The conversation also touches on the idea of a lawnmower and how it would behave when the starter rope is pulled without holding it in place.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-8-31_22-49-3.png

Homework Equations

Concept of couple?

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the couple about disc, though I'm not sure if I can use this approach. Since 900 N is pulling the string of pulley downwards, I take the couple about disc as 900 x 0.4, which gives me 360 Nm. To balance this couple, the couple by F must be equal to 360. So 1.2 x F = 360 which gives me 300 N as the answer. But I'm wrong, since the answer is B. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:
Where did I go wrong?

toforfiltum said:
900 x 0.4,
Any particular reason for using diameter?

Bystander said:
Any particular reason for using diameter?
I thought the 900 N exerts a couple on the disc, though I'm not sure. I'm just guessing.

What are/would be the two elements of the couple?

Bystander said:
What are/would be the two elements of the couple?
Two forces acting in opposite directions separated by a perpendicular distance.

What specific forces? And what distance?

Bystander said:
What specific forces? And what distance?
In this case there's only one force which is 900 N rotating the disc in anticlockwise direction.

What's holding the disc?

Bystander said:
What's holding the disc?
The lever turning in opposite direction?

What's the "spindle" doing?

Bystander said:
What's the "spindle" doing?[/
Transferring the energy?

No sideways forces on it?

Bystander said:
No sideways forces on it?
I totally don't know. From the picture, as the spindle rotates, it turns discs in opposite direction to the wight of 900 N on disc.

What happens when you pull the starter rope on a lawnmower without putting your foot on the mower to hold it in place?

Bystander said:
What happens when you pull the starter rope on a lawnmower without putting your foot on the mower to hold it in place?
The lawnmower will jump?

toforfiltum said:
jump?
Any particular direction?

Bystander said:
Any particular direction?
I've never used a lawnmower before:-p so I'm not too sure.It will jump away from the person pulling it?

Related to Min force to lever to lift weight

1. What is the minimum force needed to lift a weight using a lever?

The minimum force needed to lift a weight using a lever is determined by the weight of the object and the length of the lever arm. This can be calculated using the formula: force = weight x distance. The longer the lever arm, the less force is required to lift the weight.

2. How does the position of the fulcrum affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight with a lever?

The position of the fulcrum, or pivot point, on a lever can greatly affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight. Placing the fulcrum closer to the weight will require less force to lift, while placing it further away will require more force. This is due to the principle of leverage and the longer lever arm that results from a closer fulcrum.

3. Can the weight of the lever itself affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight?

Yes, the weight of the lever itself can affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight. This is because the weight of the lever adds to the overall weight that needs to be lifted. In order to minimize the effect of the weight of the lever, it is important to use a light and strong material for the lever, such as aluminum or carbon fiber.

4. How does the angle of the lever affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight?

The angle of the lever can affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight. When the lever is at a steeper angle, more force is required to lift the weight due to the decrease in leverage. On the other hand, a shallower angle results in less force needed to lift the weight. It is important to find the optimal angle for the specific weight being lifted in order to minimize the force needed.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight with a lever?

Yes, aside from the weight of the object, the length and position of the lever arm, the weight of the lever itself, and the angle of the lever, there are other factors that can affect the minimum force needed to lift a weight with a lever. These include the strength and placement of the fulcrum, as well as the type of lever being used (first, second, or third class). Additionally, friction and external forces can also impact the minimum force needed to lift a weight with a lever.