What is the technical description of the General GRE score?

• Thread starter undergrad_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General Gre
In summary, the General GRE score is a standardized test score used by graduate schools and business schools to evaluate applicants for admissions. It is calculated based on a scaled score system, with each section scored on a scale of 130-170 and the overall score ranging from 260-340. A good score is typically above the 50th percentile, which varies depending on the program. The score is valid for five years, and can be retaken up to five times in a 12-month period. However, it is recommended to only retake if there is a significant potential for improvement.
undergrad_phy
So I got 590 on Verbal, 630 on Quantitative, and 5.0 on Analytical writing. Would my total score be 1220, or 1225?

Physics news on Phys.org
At least when I took the GRE the scores are considered independently. I don't ever recall discussing a GRE score "as a whole."

Related to What is the technical description of the General GRE score?

1. What is the General GRE score?

The General GRE score is a standardized test score that is used by graduate schools and business schools to evaluate applicants for admissions. It is designed to measure verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. How is the General GRE score calculated?

The General GRE score is calculated based on a scaled score system. Each section of the test (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing) is scored on a scale of 130-170. The scores from each section are then added together to get the overall score, which ranges from 260-340.

3. What is a good General GRE score?

A good General GRE score is typically considered to be above the 50th percentile, which is around 150 for verbal reasoning, 153 for quantitative reasoning, and 4.5 for analytical writing. However, what is considered a good score may vary depending on the specific graduate program and its competitiveness.

4. How long is the General GRE score valid?

The General GRE score is valid for five years from the date the test was taken. After that, it will expire and cannot be used for admissions purposes.

5. Can the General GRE score be retaken?

Yes, the General GRE can be retaken up to five times within a 12-month period. However, it is recommended to only retake the test if you feel that you can significantly improve your score. Some graduate programs may also have policies on how many times an applicant can retake the test.