What is the Remainder of 2 to the Power of 1000005 Divided by 55?

In summary, Euler's theorem is a fundamental result in number theory that explains the relationship between Euler's totient function and modular arithmetic. Its significance lies in its applications in cryptography, number theory, and computer science. However, the main issue with Euler's theorem is that it assumes the modulus and base are relatively prime, which may not be true in some cases. This can be solved by using a modified version called Euler's generalization of Fermat's little theorem. Some practical examples of Euler's theorem include its use in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science for secure online transactions, error correcting codes, and generation of pseudorandom numbers.
zetafunction

Homework Statement

i need to obtain the remainder of the divison [tex] 2^{1000005}[/tex] divided by 55

Homework Equations

Euler theorem [tex] 2^{\phi (55)}=1 mod(55) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

my problem is that applying Euler theorem i reach to the conclusion that the remainder is the same as the value 'a' inside the congruence equation

[tex] 2^{5}=a mod(55)[/tex] but it would give me that a is negative ¡¡

it gives me a=-23 or similar using congruences or a =32

Physics news on Phys.org
phi(55) = 4*10=40

So, 2^40 = 1

1000005 = 1000000 + 5 which Modulo 40 is 5

So 2^2000005 = 2^5 = 32.

Related to What is the Remainder of 2 to the Power of 1000005 Divided by 55?

What is Euler's theorem?

Euler's theorem, also known as the Euler totient theorem, is a fundamental result in number theory that describes the relationship between Euler's totient function and modular arithmetic.

What is the significance of Euler's theorem?

Euler's theorem has numerous applications in cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It is also a key component in the proof of Fermat's little theorem and the RSA encryption algorithm.

What is the problem with Euler's theorem?

The main issue with Euler's theorem is that it assumes the modulus and base are relatively prime, which means they have no common factors except 1. However, this assumption may not hold true in some cases, leading to incorrect results.

How can the problem with Euler's theorem be solved?

The problem with Euler's theorem can be solved by using a modified version known as Euler's generalization of Fermat's little theorem. This version takes into account the common factors between the modulus and base, making it applicable in a wider range of cases.

What are some practical examples of Euler's theorem?

Euler's theorem has practical applications in the fields of cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is used in the RSA encryption algorithm to ensure the security of online transactions and in error correcting codes for data transmission. It is also used in the generation of pseudorandom numbers in computer science.