Remainder After Division Problem

In summary, when (-8)^4124 + 6^3101 + 7^5 is divided by 3, the remainder is 2. This is because 6 raised to any power is always divisible by 3, 7 raised to any power yields a remainder of 1 when divided by 3, and the remainder from -8 raised to a power alternates from -2 (when the exponent is odd) to 1 (when the exponent is even). When adding the remainders of each term, the sum is also divisible by 3, leaving a final remainder of 2.
ribbon

Homework Statement

(-8)^4124 + 6^3101 + 7^5 is divided by 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My original insight was that 6 raised to any power is always divisible by 3.
7 raised to any power yields a remainder of 1 when divided by 3.
and the remainder from -8 raised to a power alters from -2 (when exponent is odd) to 1 (when exponent is even.

So in my problem the first term leaves a remainder 1, the 2nd term no remainder and the final term remainder 1. What I am confused by, is how is this all effected when we add the numbers? My immediate intuition would tell me to add the remainders but I am sure that is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
ribbon said:

Homework Statement

(-8)^4124 + 6^3101 + 7^5 is divided by 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My original insight was that 6 raised to any power is always divisible by 3.
7 raised to any power yields a remainder of 1 when divided by 3.
and the remainder from -8 raised to a power alters from -2 (when exponent is odd) to 1 (when exponent is even.

So in my problem the first term leaves a remainder 1, the 2nd term no remainder and the final term remainder 1. What I am confused by, is how is this all effected when we add the numbers? My immediate intuition would tell me to add the remainders but I am sure that is incorrect.

Why do you think it is incorrect? :smile:

ehild

You need to calculate ((-8)^4124 + 6^3101 + 7^5) mod 3.

You've already found that 6 mod 3 = 0 and 7 mod 3 = 1, but you haven't found -8 mod 3 correctly. Remember: you are trying to write -8 as 3n + k, where n is an integer (possibly negative) and k = 0, 1 or 2.

Thanks for the hint! I am still a little bit confused, according to Wolfram the remainder is 2 indeed the sum of the remainder from each of the divisions separately..

-8^4124 /3 --> r= 1
6^3101 /3 --> r= 0
7^5 /3 --> r =1

1+0+1 =2

Was this a fluke or is this actually the consistent method?

ribbon said:
Thanks for the hint! I am still a little bit confused, according to Wolfram the remainder is 2 indeed the sum of the remainder from each of the divisions separately.. -8^4124 /3 --> r= 1
6^3101 /3 --> r= 0
7^5 /3 --> r =1

1+0+1 =2

Was this a fluke or is this actually the consistent method?

-8=-9+1. (-8)n=(-9+1)n. According to the Binomial Theorem, any positive integer power of -8 contains terms divisible by 9 except the last one which is the power of 1.
7=6+1. Again, any positive integer power 7n=(6+1)n contains terms divisible by 6, except the last one, which is 1.

Adding up terms divisible by three, the sum is also divisible by three. And you have the two "1" terms to add. ehild

Thanks ehild!

Answer : 2
First of all remove - sign from the first term as it is to the even power.
You'll get (9-1)^4124 Now the only term which is independent of 9 in the binomial series expansion will be (-1)^1024 which gives remainder 1 .
Second Term is divisible .Remainder 0
Write third term as (6+1)^5 .From here again you'll get remainder 1.
ADD THE Remainders : 1+0+1 = 2 (ANSWER)

Related to Remainder After Division Problem

What is the Remainder After Division Problem?

The Remainder After Division Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the remainder after dividing one number by another number. It is commonly encountered in basic arithmetic and can also be used in more complex mathematical operations.

What is the purpose of the Remainder After Division Problem?

The purpose of the Remainder After Division Problem is to determine the remaining amount after dividing one number by another number. This can be useful in real-life situations, such as dividing a group of objects into equal-sized groups, or when calculating the total cost for a given number of items.

How is the Remainder After Division Problem solved?

The Remainder After Division Problem is solved by first dividing the two numbers and then finding the remainder. This can be done using long division, or by using a calculator or computer program. The remainder is the amount that is left over after the division is complete.

What are some common strategies for solving the Remainder After Division Problem?

One common strategy for solving the Remainder After Division Problem is to use long division, breaking down the problem into smaller, easier steps. Another strategy is to use estimation, where you round the numbers to the nearest whole number and then divide to get an approximate answer. Additionally, using a calculator or computer program can also be an effective strategy for solving the problem.

How is the Remainder After Division Problem used in other areas of math and science?

The Remainder After Division Problem is used in many different areas of math and science, including algebra, geometry, and statistics. It can also be applied in real-world scenarios, such as analyzing data sets or calculating probabilities. Additionally, the concept of remainders is also used in computer programming and cryptography.