What is the optimal age to pursue a math degree for career change?

In summary: However, if someone is just looking to have a better understanding of the world around them and gain enrichment in their life, then they can learn everything they need on the internet. :DPerhaps, but they will just have to deal with it as they will learn to do with many things they might find "a little odd" as they learn about the real world, and will likely struggle to keep up with the more motivated mature student whose study habits are probably more focused. ;)I think it's great when someone tries to further their education, no matter the age.
mathdad
In your opinion, how old is too old to consider a four-year math degree? Can a person who is middle age return to college to major in math even if the degree itself will not lead to a rewarding career?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in university, there was a sixty years old pensioner studying math and theoretical physics just because he liked it... (Smile)

My mother will soon be 79 years old. If she were to tell me that she wished to enroll at the local university to get a degree in mathematics, I would give her my full support, as I would for anyone regardless of age. To me, the reasons to study mathematics, or anything of interest, is not primarily about turning that into a career, but much more importantly for personal fulfillment and enrichment. :D

Theia said:
When I was in university, there was a sixty years old pensioner studying math and theoretical physics just because he liked it... (Smile)

The younger population of students might find it a little odd to see a middle aged person in Calculus 1, for example.

RTCNTC said:
The younger population of students might find it a little odd to see a middle aged person in Calculus 1, for example.

Perhaps, but they will just have to deal with it as they will learn to do with many things they might find "a little odd" as they learn about the real world, and will likely struggle to keep up with the more motivated mature student whose study habits are probably more focused. ;)

The more mature student is there because they want to be, not because their parents told them either go to school, or get a job and move out. :D

MarkFL said:
My mother will soon be 79 years old. If she were to tell me that she wished to enroll at the local university to get a degree in mathematics, I would give her my full support, as I would for anyone regardless of age. To me, the reasons to study mathematics, or anything of interest, is not primarily about turning that into a career, but much more importantly for personal fulfillment and enrichment. :D
I have been saying this for years. When I was 37 years old (long ago), I wanted to major in math. I had no family support. I had no support from friends.

The years came and left and my dream to have a math degree faded into oblivion. As a middle aged math, I am now learning online what I should have studied years ago. My life would surely be in a better place in terms of income, housing, relationship, etc.

I think there is probably a mental peak of our lives, but that doesn't mean that anyone is ever too old to pursue math. When I was 18 I was a terrible college student. Went back for another degree at 25 and grad school at 27. I took it much more seriously than my first time and was a much better student.

In my time teaching during grad school I had a number of middle aged students and even a few in their 60's. I always enjoyed their presence and different perspective. It was a great thing to have.

So in short I think it's great when someone tries to further their education, no matter the age. :)

RTCNTC said:

Heh. I found that the younger population tends to look only at their own circles, and tends to ignore anyone who doesn't fit into it.
In other words, the younger population is, or should be, irrelevant to anyone who wants to do whatever he or she wants to do.

Personally I plan to rent out an extra room at my nursing home to store the textbooks in my library. I'm not quitting until I'm senile. And, of course, there are many who would argue that I already am...I study Quantum Physics after all.

-Dan

The internet is a great place to learn just about anything for the sake of learning. If someone is seeking a different career path requiring advanced math, then going back to college makes sense.

Related to What is the optimal age to pursue a math degree for career change?

What is the recommended age limit for pursuing a math degree?

The recommended age limit for pursuing a math degree varies depending on the individual's circumstances and goals. Generally, it is recommended to start pursuing a math degree during your undergraduate studies, which typically occurs between the ages of 18-22. However, it is never too late to pursue a math degree and many people start their math studies later in life.

Can I pursue a math degree at an older age?

Yes, you can pursue a math degree at any age. Many universities and colleges have no age limit for enrollment in their math programs. It is common for individuals to pursue a math degree later in life as a career change or to further their education.

Does age play a role in success in a math degree?

Age does not necessarily determine success in a math degree. Success in a math degree depends on factors such as dedication, hard work, and aptitude for math. Age can bring certain advantages such as maturity and life experience, which can aid in the learning process.

Are there any benefits to starting a math degree at a younger age?

Starting a math degree at a younger age can allow for more time to complete the degree, as well as potentially less financial burden. Additionally, younger individuals may have more flexibility in terms of taking on internships or research opportunities during their studies.

Is there an age limit for using a math degree in the workforce?

There is no age limit for using a math degree in the workforce. Many industries, such as finance, technology, and research, have a high demand for individuals with strong math skills, regardless of age. With a math degree, you can pursue various career paths at any age.