What is the Normal Force in Terms of Mass on a Ski Jump Training Hill?

In summary, the problem involves finding the normal force on a skier on a ski jump training hill with given variables of height, radius, and neglecting air resistance and friction. Newton's equations are used to determine the normal force at different positions on the hill, but the mass of the skier is needed to solve for the normal force. However, the professor clarifies that only the expression of the normal force in terms of mass is needed, not its numerical value. This simplifies the problem significantly.
Uiik

Homework Statement

A photo of this problem is available at: http://imgur.com/l5lnI56
(the visual is needed to understand the question)

Problem text: A ski jump training hill can be thought of as featuring a near vertical plunge followed by a gradually decreasing (in magnitude) slope until it completely levels as shown in Fig. 1. A circle has been drawn to indicate the radius of curvature of the curve part way down the hill. Take Δh = -100m and R = 40m. Neglecting air resistance and friction, please answer the following question:

Write down Newton's equations and find the normal force at each position. After falling through a height Δh the speed of the skier (squared) is v2=-2gΔh

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
ω = v/r
α = at/r
ar = v2/r = ω2r
Fc = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩFx, i = 0
ƩFy, i = -Fg
--> since any contact between the object and the surface is negligible at i, there is no normal force.

ƩFx, ii = Fg(sinθ)
ƩFy, ii = N + Fc - Fgcosθ = maii

ƩFx, iii = 0
ƩFy, iii = N - Fg = 0
N = Fg

So at this point, there is a bit of a problem. When simplifying forces at points ii and iii, it becomes clear that mass is needed.
e.g.
N = Fg
N = mg -> what is m?

I can only assume that the answer comes from use of angular motion equations.

At this point, I have the following information:
radius (40m)
height (-100m) --> used to find velocity using given formula --> velocity
angle is 45 degrees.

I calculated v to be 44.27m/s (using given velocity formula and height)
I calculated ω to be 1.10677rad/s (using the given velocity formula and ω=v/r)
I calculated ar to be 49m/s2 (using v2/r)

I know that (defining x as the tangent to the circle, and y as toward the middle of the circle) in the y direction, the forces acting are (N + Fc) - 9.8mcos45. In the x direction, only 9.8msin45 is acting (force due to gravity down the incline at the point of contact).

Other pieces of important that seem important to the solution can't be calculated without m.
at = 9.8sin45
α = 9.8msin45/40 = 0.245msin45

At this point, I'm not sure what other steps to take to find mass, or if mass can be canceled out in some sort of a proportional reasoning setup. I would appreciate a suggestion to help me figure out the rest. I'm not looking for a step-by-step solution, or even an answer.

If any part of my post is unclear/inappropriately stated, let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't see a way to calculate a value for the normal force without knowing the mass either. I haven't checked your working.

This is resolved. Thanks to CWatters.

Professor forgot to mention that he wasn't expecting a numerical answer, but instead, he wanted us to express the normal force in terms of mass (no need to find the magnitude of the mass). That made this a 5-minute question instead of a many-hour question.

Related to What is the Normal Force in Terms of Mass on a Ski Jump Training Hill?

What is force normal?

Force normal, also known as the normal force, is the force that is exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object.

How is force normal calculated?

The force normal is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This is known as the weight of the object. The force normal is then equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the object.

What is the significance of force normal?

Force normal plays an important role in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object on a surface. It prevents objects from sinking through surfaces and allows for the calculation of frictional forces.

Does force normal always exist?

No, force normal only exists when there is contact between an object and a surface. For example, if an object is in free fall, there is no force normal acting on it because there is no surface in contact to exert a normal force.

How does force normal relate to other types of forces?

In a system with multiple forces acting on an object, the force normal can affect the net force and therefore the acceleration of the object. It can also interact with other forces, such as friction, to determine the motion of an object on a surface.