Normal force of a mass sliding down a quarter circle

In summary: Where mgR is the magnitude of the normal force at position R, mgRsin is the magnitude of the normal force at the point where the radius vector intersects the surface, and mv_f is the magnitude of the final velocity.
Jamest39

Homework Statement

A 22-gram mass is released from rest at position A on a stationary frictionless surface whose shape is that of a quarter circle of radius R = 0.66 m.
(b) Determine the magnitude of the normal force that acts on the mass when it is at position B (it is at position B when the imaginary radii form a 48° on the top sector of the quarter circle and a 42° angle on the bottom half).

Homework Equations

N = mgcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to use the equation above to determine the normal force, you need would need an angle between the normal force vector and the mg vector but couldn't find any way to do so. The answer was given to us as 0.48 N, and I plugged that into the equation above to get θ = 77.14°, but I don't know any way I would be able to get that angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the full question?

I notice you went from the question to part (b). Please include all information, if you haven't.

RedDelicious said:
Is this the full question?

I notice you went from the question to part (b). Please include all information, if you haven't.
Yeah, question (a) was "Determine the speed of the mass at the instant when the mass is at position B."
mgh = (1/2)mv^2
v = sqrt(2gh)
h = R sin θ So,
v = sqrt(2*9.8*0.66*sin48°) = 3.10 m/s

Jamest39 said:
Yeah, question (a) was "Determine the speed of the mass at the instant when the mass is at position B."
mgh = (1/2)mv^2
v = sqrt(2gh)
h = R sin θ So,
v = sqrt(2*9.8*0.66*sin48°) = 3.10 m/s

That's what I thought.

Do you think that might be related to part b in any way? Keep in mind this is circular motion. Any forces that might affect the normal force?

RedDelicious said:
That's what I thought.

Do you think that might be related to part b in any way? Keep in mind this is circular motion. Any forces that might affect the normal force?

The centripetal acceleration? a = v^2/r

Jamest39 said:
The centripetal acceleration? a = v^2/r

Yep. Now you just need to use Newton's 2nd law again but with all the forces this time.

RedDelicious said:
Yep. Now you just need to use Newton's 2nd law again but with all the forces this time.

So ΣF = ma,
and the forces acting on it are gravity and the normal force. But how can I express mg in that formula when its at that position on the curve?

Jamest39 said:
So ΣF = ma,
and the forces acting on it are gravity and the normal force. But how can I express mg in that formula when its at that position on the curve?

You do it the same way you did it the first time. The first time you set it equal to the normal force because it was the only force acting on it, but this time it isn't, so you don't, but its component is still the same.

RedDelicious said:
You do it the same way you did it the first time. The first time you set it equal to the normal force because it was the only force acting on it, but this time it isn't, so you don't, but its component is still the same.

I can set ΣF = ma equal to the magnitude of the normal force?

Jamest39 said:
I can set ΣF = ma equal to the magnitude of the normal force?

Before you get there you're going to need the correct velocity.

You set PE = KE, which would be fine if it were true. What that implies is that all of the potential energy it initially had has been converted into kinetic energy, which we know is not true because you found its height at point B and it definitely wasn't zero, meaning it has potential energy that you're not accounting for. Starting from the basic fact that the conservation of energy tells us that, in an isolated system, the initial energy equals the final energy.

[tex]Ei=E_f\\

mgh_i+\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=mgh_f+\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2[/tex]

or in your case specifically

[tex]mgR=mgRsin\left(\theta \right)+\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2[/tex]

Related to Normal force of a mass sliding down a quarter circle

1. What is the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the case of a mass sliding down a quarter circle, the normal force is the force exerted by the curved surface of the quarter circle on the mass.

2. How does the normal force change as the mass slides down the quarter circle?

The normal force decreases as the mass slides down the quarter circle, due to the decreasing angle between the surface and the force of gravity acting on the mass. As the angle approaches 90 degrees, the normal force approaches zero.

3. What factors affect the normal force in this situation?

The normal force is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the surface, and the force of gravity acting on the object. The normal force is also dependent on the surface material and any other external forces acting on the object.

4. Is the normal force equal to the force of gravity?

No, the normal force is not always equal to the force of gravity. The normal force is a reaction force to the force of gravity, and its magnitude is dependent on the angle of the surface and other factors.

5. What is the relationship between the normal force and friction in this scenario?

The normal force and friction are directly related. As the normal force decreases, so does the friction force. This is because the normal force is necessary for there to be friction between two surfaces. Without the normal force, there would be no friction and the mass would not be able to slide down the quarter circle.