What is the most interdisciplinary STEM Major?

In summary, the conversation discussed the question of what is the most interdisciplinary STEM major. The person asking the question expressed an interest in being interdisciplinary and mentioned being told about the ChemE major. They also asked for more information about other majors, including a further explanation of ChemE. Another person suggested majoring in Philosophy for a more interdisciplinary approach. The conversation also touched on the struggle to find the right academic path and the definition of engineering as a problem-solving discipline. Ultimately, the conversation did not provide a clear answer on the most interdisciplinary STEM major, but did mention some potential options.
nst.john
My question is my exact title, what is the most interdisciplinary STEM major? I was wondering because I want to be interdisciplinary and someone told me ChemE and it seems interesting but I have no clue what ChemE's do exactly and the tools they use and what they are able to do with what they learn. Can anyone tell me any more majors and explain the ChemE major as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably has more to do with your research topic and your school than your major.

nst.john said:
My question is my exact title, what is the most interdisciplinary STEM major? I was wondering because I want to be interdisciplinary and someone told me ChemE and it seems interesting but I have no clue what ChemE's do exactly and the tools they use and what they are able to do with what they learn. Can anyone tell me any more majors and explain the ChemE major as well?

We want to do "interdisciplinary" now? What happened to "physics or EE"? Different week, different mood?

So now, you want to learn a little bit about everything, but master of nothing? I recommend majoring in Philosophy then.

Zz.

Likes 2 people
I struggled for a couple years to find myself, academically. But it was after I already received an undergrad in physics.

I think I know what I want, I just don't know what will get me there which is why I would like to learn more about ChemE

You're question seems a little contradictory!Each of the majors can be called a discipline by itself and you're asking which discipline is most interdisciplinary?(This is for Engineering majors!)
From what you say,only things like BioPhysics, Theoretical Computer sciences, Quantum Computing and Cognitive science come into my mind.I may be able to extend the list but no Engineering major will be included because by definition,Engineering of any kind is finding a way to solve a technical problem no matter to what discipline that solution belongs and so anything you do as an Engineer can't be interdisciplinary!

Related to What is the most interdisciplinary STEM Major?

What is the most interdisciplinary STEM Major?

The most interdisciplinary STEM major is a difficult question to answer definitively, as it can vary depending on individual interests and the focus of a particular program. However, some of the most commonly cited interdisciplinary STEM majors include:

• Biomedical Engineering
  • Environmental Science
  • Data Science
  • Cognitive Science
  • Biotechnology

What does it mean for a major to be interdisciplinary?

An interdisciplinary major is one that combines elements from multiple disciplines or fields of study in order to address complex issues or solve problems that cannot be solved within the scope of a single discipline. This may involve integrating concepts, methods, and theories from different fields, and often requires collaboration between experts from diverse backgrounds.

Why is interdisciplinary study important in STEM fields?

Interdisciplinary study is important in STEM fields because many of the most pressing problems and challenges facing society today cannot be solved by one discipline alone. By combining knowledge and approaches from different fields, we can gain a more comprehensive understanding of complex issues and develop more effective solutions.

What skills are needed to succeed in an interdisciplinary STEM major?

To succeed in an interdisciplinary STEM major, students should have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should also be able to communicate effectively and work well in teams, as interdisciplinary study often involves collaboration with people from different backgrounds and disciplines.

What are the career opportunities for graduates of interdisciplinary STEM majors?

Graduates of interdisciplinary STEM majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, as their diverse skill set and knowledge base make them well-suited for many different industries and fields. Some potential career paths include research, data analysis, engineering, environmental management, and healthcare, among others.