What Is the Magnetic Field at Point P Due to a Short Current Element?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field at point P, located at (-0.730m)i + (0.390m)k, produced by a short current element carrying 8.90A in the same direction as dl⃗ = (0.500mm)j. Using the Biot-Savart Law, the correct equation is either dB = (μ0/4π)(I)(dL × r⃗)/(r^3) or dB = (μ0/4π)(I)(dL × r̂)/(r^2). The correct value for μ0 is 4π * 10^-7 and the correct value for r is 0.685.
reed2100

Homework Statement

A short current element dl⃗ =(0.500mm)j^carries a current of 8.90A in the same direction asdl⃗ . Point P is located at r⃗ =(−0.730m)i^+(0.390m)k^.

Find the magnetic field at P produced by this current element.
Enter the x, y, and z components of the magnetic field separated by commas.2. Homework Equations

For a wire : dB = (μ naught/ 4π) (I) (dL X r→) / (r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

dL = .0005 meters in the j→ direction

I = 8.9 amps in j→ direction

point P is located at r→ = -.730 meters i→ + .390 meters k→

so r is the magnitude of the distance between the point and the wire, so r = .73^2 + .39^2 = .685

μ naught / 4 pi = 10^-7 / 4 pi = 7.95 * 10^-9

Now I'm not sure what to do exactly. I know the cross product of dl and r→ is the determinant, and I know how to do that. Doing that I get a result of .000195 i + .000365 k.

Now do I take (7.95*10 ^-9) * (8.9 amps) (either .000195 or .000365) / (.685 meter^2) to find the i(x) and k(z) components of dB respectively? I've tried things like that and I couldn't get the right answer.

Note: I always do my calculations in standard units like meters and tesla first then convert at the end so I don't confuse myself so I don't think that was my mistake. I think I'm just not understanding what term actually means what in the equation, or how to work with vectors correctly. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks for any and all advice.The correct answer is dBx, dBy, dBz = .306, 0 ,573 nT

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty good work!
I found one little flaw in the relevant equation: it's either ##\displaystyle I\;d{\bf \vec l} \times {\bf \vec r}\over \displaystyle |r|^3## or ##\displaystyle I\; d{\bf \vec l} \times {\bf \hat r}\over \displaystyle |r|^2##

One little flaw in ##\mu_0##: ##\ \ \mu_0 = 4\pi \; 10^{-7}\ \Rightarrow \ \mu_0/(4\pi) = 10^{-7}##

And one corny little flaw in r = .73^2 + .39^2 = .685 See it ?

Fix them and you end up spot on !

Thank you for responding!

So for the biot savart law I have a question. The first one you posted has dl→ × r→ whereas the second one uses r with a unit vector hat, so just to clarify, the first equation would be used if I had a vector r from my current element to the point of interest in terms of x, y, and z correct? And the 2nd one would be if I was given a vector in terms of a single unit vector? I'm confused on that part, I'm a little fuzzy on what I remember from vectors. Can you explain the difference between those two and why I would use one or the other?

The μ naught issue I see I made a mistake in the equation now; I must have misread that constant relationship at first.

But the last flaw is also confusing. I know the magnitude of a vector is the square root of the sum of the squared components, so I thought : r^2 = x(i) ^2 + y(j) ^2 , in the original post I accidentally said r instead of r^2. But I can see that it would be an error regardless if I originally chose the r^3 biot savart equation. So I don't see where I went wrong in that equation with what I chose originally, regarding the r^2.

They are one and the same remember that "r-hat" is just R divided by it's own magnitude. So in one of the cases one magnitude has been factored out and canceled and in the other not. They are exactly the same.

[itex] \vec R = |R| Rhat [/itex]

You would use the one with Rhat if you didn't know the distance but knew the direction (it might put you a step closer even though you can't get a numerical answer). If you know the just the distance (R) but not the direction there is no sense in calculating Rhat so then you would use the r^3 version.

Last edited:

First, let's calculate the distance vector between the point P and the current element dl⃗. We can do this by subtracting the coordinates of P from the coordinates of dl⃗:

r→ = (-0.730m, 0.500mm, 0.390m) - (0m, 0.500mm, 0m) = (-0.730m, 0, 0.390m)

Next, we need to find the magnitude of this distance vector r. We can do this using the Pythagorean theorem:

r = √((-0.730m)^2 + (0.390m)^2) = 0.836m

Now we can use the Biot Savart law to find the magnetic field at point P. Remember, we are looking for the x, y, and z components of the magnetic field, so we need to calculate the cross product of dl⃗ and r→:

dL X r→ = (0.0005m j^) X (-0.730m i^ + 0.390m k^) = -0.000365 i^ + 0.000365 k^

Next, we need to calculate the magnitude of this cross product. We can do this using the magnitude formula for cross products:

|dL X r→| = |0.000365 i^ + 0.000365 k^| = √((0.000365)^2 + (0.000365)^2) = 0.000516m

Now we can plug everything into the Biot Savart law equation to find the magnetic field at point P:

dB = (μ naught/ 4π) (I) (dL X r→) / (r^2)

dB = (4π * 10^-7 Tm/A) (8.9 A) (0.000516m) / (0.836m)^2

dB = 3.55 * 10^-11 T

Finally, we need to find the x, y, and z components of dB. To do this, we can use the unit vector notation:

dBx = dB cosθx = (3.55 * 10^-11 T) (0.000365) / (0.000516) = 2.50 * 10^-11 T

dBy

Related to What Is the Magnetic Field at Point P Due to a Short Current Element?

What is the Biot Savart law?

The Biot Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field generated by a steady current in a wire or a set of wires. It is named after the French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first described the relationship between the current in a wire and the resulting magnetic field in the early 19th century.

How is the Biot Savart law used in practical applications?

The Biot Savart law is used to calculate the magnetic field for various geometrically simple current distributions, such as a straight wire, a circular loop, or a solenoid. This law is also used in more complex systems, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers, to determine the magnetic field and its effects on the motion of charged particles.

What are the variables and constants in the Biot Savart law equation?

The Biot Savart law equation contains several variables and constants, including the magnetic field (B), the current (I), the distance from the current (r), the permeability of free space (μ0), and the angle between the current and the point where the magnetic field is being calculated (θ). The equation is B = (μ0I/4πr) * sin(θ).

How does the Biot Savart law differ from Ampere's law?

The Biot Savart law and Ampere's law are both used to calculate the magnetic field, but they apply to different types of systems. The Biot Savart law is used for calculating the magnetic field for a steady current in a wire or set of wires, while Ampere's law is used for calculating the magnetic field for a steady current in an infinitely long straight wire or a symmetric current distribution.

What are some limitations of the Biot Savart law?

The Biot Savart law is only applicable to steady currents, and it does not take into account the effects of changing electric fields. It also assumes that the current is confined to a wire or a set of wires and does not apply to more complex systems. Additionally, the Biot Savart law is only accurate for small distances from the current and may not accurately predict the magnetic field at larger distances.