Biot Savart Law Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field due to a straight wire carrying a 10.0A current at various points. The equations dB = μ*i/4*pi*r ds and B = μ*i*L/4*pi*r are mentioned, and it is suggested to integrate the first equation over the 1.1mm length and use the vector form of the B-S Law for accurate results. It is also noted that the second equation is only valid for an infinitely long current, not the given scenario. The question of whether the radius is 5cm is raised, to which it is clarified that r is the distance from the source to the observation point and therefore varies.
meaghan

Homework Statement

A straight wire caries a 10.0−A current (the figure(Figure 1) ). ABCD is a rectangle with point D in the middle of a 1.10−mm segment of the wire and point Cin the wire. Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field due to this segment at the following points.

YF-28-09.jpg

Homework Equations

dB = μ*i/4*pi*r ds
B = μ*i*L/4*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

to find the magnetic field at A, would i integrate along ds to get to the second equation then plug in the necessary information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate the first equation over the 1.1 mm length indicated. Use the vector form of the B-S Law to properly capture the geometrical relationship between the current element and the observation points. Your second equation is only valid for the field away from an infinitely long current--not your situation.

okay, so would i get that my radius = 5cm as well?

Well, r is distance (diagonal) from source to observation so it varies.

Related to Biot Savart Law Homework Solutions

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a current-carrying wire and the magnetic field it produces. It states that the magnetic field at any point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the wire, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the point.

2. How is the Biot Savart Law used?

The Biot Savart Law is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire at any point in space. It is also used to determine the magnetic field produced by a current loop or a combination of current-carrying wires.

3. What are the units of the Biot Savart Law?

The units of the Biot Savart Law are given by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the current, the direction of the magnetic field, and the direction of the force are all perpendicular to each other. The units of the magnetic field are usually expressed in Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

4. How is the Biot Savart Law related to Ampere's Law?

The Biot Savart Law and Ampere's Law are closely related as they both describe the relationship between a current-carrying wire and the magnetic field it produces. Ampere's Law is a more general law that can be used to calculate the magnetic field for more complex current distributions, while the Biot Savart Law is used for simpler cases.

5. What are some applications of the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It is used in the design of motors, generators, and other electrical devices. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to create images of the body's internal structures.