What is the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

In summary, the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy is an extension of Landau's theory to weak first-order transitions, with additional terms in the free energy expansion. It is discussed in the book "Principles and Applications of Ferroelectrics and Related Materials" by Lines and Glass, and in articles by Devonshire and Damjanovic. However, the term "free energy" is often used by crackpots and is not accepted in the scientific community.
Silicon
Who can explain the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy to me.
In which book can I find this conception?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon said:
Who can explain the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy to me.
In which book can I find this conception?

The Word Free Energy is a False Statement.

All those Free Energy Concepts should be called Alternative Energy.

You can not Get Energy for Free.:bugeye:

Crackpots call it Free Energy, A Researcher would call it Alternative Energy if it was Acceptable by the Scientific Community as a viable source of Alternative Energy given without Crackpottery.

Alternative Energy is the Conversion of one form of Work or Energy into usable Energy.

The Statement Free Energy has a Curse upon it just as Perputual Motion has a Curse upon it, It is not accepted in the Real Scientific Community and can be highly falsified just as thousands of others have using the terms Free Energy and Or Perpetual Motion as Advertisment of their scheme.:rolleyes:

Are you joking or something? If you have indeed studied your statistical physics course then I apologize.

I haven't come across Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire, but I have come come across Landau-Devonshire, which is an extension of Landau to weak first-order transitions with additional terms in the free energy expansion.

Lines, M. E., and Glass, A. M., 1979, Principles and Applications of Ferroelectrics and Related Materials

Devonshire, A. F., 1949, Phil. Mag., 40, 1040; 1951, ibid., 42, 1065; 1954, Phil. Mag. Suppl., 3, 85.

Damjanovic, D., 1998, Rep. Prog. Phys., 61, 1267.

Related to What is the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

What is the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

The Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy is a mathematical model used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of materials undergoing phase transitions. It is named after the scientists Lev Landau, Vitaly Ginzburg, and Patrick Devonshire, who developed the theory in the 1950s.

What is the purpose of the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

The purpose of the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy is to predict the properties of materials as they undergo phase transitions, such as melting, solidification, or magnetic ordering. It can also be used to calculate the critical temperature at which a phase transition occurs.

How is the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy calculated?

The Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy is calculated using a mathematical equation that takes into account the energy of the system and the order parameter, which is a measure of the degree of order in the material. The equation is complex and involves different coefficients and powers of the order parameter.

What is the order parameter in the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

The order parameter in the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy is a measure of the degree of order in a material undergoing a phase transition. It can represent variables such as magnetization, density, or atomic displacements. The value of the order parameter changes as the material transitions between different phases.

What types of materials can be described by the Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy?

The Landau-GinZburg-Devonshire free energy can be used to describe a wide range of materials, including ferromagnetic and ferroelectric materials, superconductors, and liquid crystals. It is also used to study the behavior of materials at the nanoscale, such as nanoparticles and thin films.