Is there any explanation of Josephson effect based on Schrodinger equation?

In summary, there does not seem to be a clear explanation of the Josephson effect based on the Schrodinger equation. It seems that the electron pairing does not seem to be the main contributor to the phenomenon.
zhanhai
All explanations of Josephson effect I have read so far are based on Ginzburg–Landau theory. There seems no explanation based on Schrodinger equation. Why?

While an explanation of Josephson frequency of 2eV/h seems not difficult to envisage, the major problem, I guess, should be with electron pairing. Josephson effect takes place with a driving voltage of less than 1mV, but a typical superconducting energy gap should be of 10meV or greater (especially for HTS), which should prevent electrons below the gap from being excited by phonons. Thus, how would an electron be driven to transit by a voltage of less than 1mV while it is prevented from transition by phonons of over 10meV?

Do I miss or mistaken anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can derive it based on some very general principles using the SE. See for example Feynman's lectures (probably volume 3).

In order to derive the Josephson equations you have to assume that there is some sort of coupling between the wavefunctions on each side of the barrier and you also have to assume that the current carrying "particle" has a charge 2e; but that is it.

Note that the Josephson effect is very general and can also be observed in e.g. Bose-Einstein condensates. Hence, it does not rely on any details of the underlying mechanism for superconductivity.

Edit: Also, the Josephson effect in SC deals with Cooper pairs, not electrons.

f95toli said:
Yes, you can derive it based on some very general principles using the SE. See for example Feynman's lectures (probably volume 3).

In order to derive the Josephson equations you have to assume that there is some sort of coupling between the wavefunctions on each side of the barrier and you also have to assume that the current carrying "particle" has a charge 2e; but that is it.

Note that the Josephson effect is very general and can also be observed in e.g. Bose-Einstein condensates. Hence, it does not rely on any details of the underlying mechanism for superconductivity.

Edit: Also, the Josephson effect in SC deals with Cooper pairs, not electrons.
Thanks for your comments. I found Feynman's lectures on Josephson effect on this webpage:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_21.html#Ch21-S9

Frankly, I am not sure whether the use of common wave function is justified, and no electronic state structure is discussed.

I have thought the question again after my previous post, and come to realized it might not be so much due to treatment of electrons in pairing; rather, the lower states of the structure seemingly suitable for eV transitions are occupied. This should be the true reason that prevents an explanation based on eV transitions; such an explanation thus could not be established...unless some related notion is modified.

I am not sure whether I understand your question, but the Ginzburg Landau equations can be derived from the microscopic hamiltonian describing the electrons. This has been done by Gorkov: L. P. Gor'kov, Sov. Phys. JETP, 9, 1364(1959).

You don't need to deal with electron structure to describe the Josephson effect. You can -as I wrote above- observe the Josephson effect in Bose-Einstein condensates (no electrons involved) which illustrates that is a very general phenomenon. You can obviously derive them starting from electron structure (although it is rarely done) but it is sort of missing the point a bit; doing it that way would be a bit like trying to explain the quantum Hall effect by studying the electron structure of GaAs (too many trees and all of that).

Also -on a more practical note- we don't actually have a microscopic theory that works for all the materials that exhibit the Josephson effect; the high-Tc superconductors are a case in point. You can get reasonably good agreement with experiments using models that take the Andreev states into account, but the symmetry of the wavefunction (nearly) always assumed to have a specific form (.e.g d or d+is) in these calculations.
That said, for a specific configuration you can always get perfect agreement with the Josephson equations as long as you use phenomenological parameters for the critical current etc (and in the d-wave case include higher harmonics for the current-phase relation).

I have made a model, in which the double frequency 2ω can be resulted from non-linear relationship. Why ω=eV/ħ seems more complicated; first, greater ω corresponds to smaller current needed to maintain the system; second, there seems some effect concerning quality factor, and when ω=eV/ħ the quality factor could be the best.

A related result is a microscopic explanation of flux quantum, which seems to indicate that carrier electrons can be "deep electrons", accordingly superconducting electrons may like water flowing in a trench, and a tentative mechanism could be constructed for it.

Related to Is there any explanation of Josephson effect based on Schrodinger equation?

1. What is the Josephson effect?

The Josephson effect is a quantum phenomenon in which a supercurrent flows through a weak electrical junction between two superconducting materials, without any applied voltage. It was discovered by Brian Josephson in 1962 and is an important aspect of superconductivity.

2. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It was first proposed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

3. How is the Josephson effect related to the Schrodinger equation?

The Josephson effect can be explained using the Schrodinger equation, which describes the behavior of the wave function of particles. The supercurrent in the Josephson effect is a result of the coherent tunneling of Cooper pairs, which can be described by the wave function in the Schrodinger equation.

4. Are there any other equations that can explain the Josephson effect?

Yes, there are other equations that can explain the Josephson effect, such as the Ginzburg-Landau equations and the Bogoliubov-de Gennes equations. However, the Schrodinger equation is the most commonly used and accepted explanation for the phenomenon.

5. What are the implications of understanding the Josephson effect using the Schrodinger equation?

Understanding the Josephson effect using the Schrodinger equation allows us to better comprehend the behavior of superconducting materials and their potential applications, such as in quantum computing. It also helps us to further our understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications in other areas of science and technology.