What is the formula for the volume of a thick crust pizza?

In summary: The mathematician, who had been observing the entire exchange. "You two are wasting your time. The bear is three meters to the right of where you are, no matter who takes the shot."
I'll have to try that one out. My typical goal when looking for a date is to find someone who knows how to use the word "orthogonal" in casual conversation. Perhaps this method will work better.

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
When someone says "I love you infinity plus one", I immediately love them less because of their failure to grasp basic mathematical concepts.

anemone said:
When someone says "I love you infinity plus one", I immediately love them less because of their failure to grasp basic mathematical concepts.
Don't be so quick. If $\omega$ is the order-type of natural numbers, then $\omega+1$ is a well-defined concept. See ordinal arithmetic.

Speaking of infinite sets, there is a mathematical variant of the song "99 Bottles of Beer". I encountered an opinion that "Aleph-Naught bottles of beer on the wall" is the longest song ever. I am not sure about aleph-naught, denoted by $\aleph_0$, which is the cardinality of natural numbers, but if it is replaced by $\omega$, then the song is definitely finite since $\omega$ is well-founded, i.e., there is no infinite chain $\omega>n_1>n_2>\dots$.

In anticipation of the influx of new members...

tumblr_n9nucj5FV21qzcv7no1_1280.jpg

The scientists at SETI finally decoded a message which appears to be proof of intelligent life in the universe. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense:

Itu, the Eye-Pie, and won snot.

Hello again gentlemen, I hope you enjoyed the (relatively short) time you've spent on MHB without me. Thus I inform, with regret, that you all are, once again, going to see the dark days of MHB now that I've returned. To celebrate this historical moment, I am going to start with a joke I've heard in recent times of my imprisonment in the dungeons of the Necromancer.

View attachment 2991

Attachments

• newton_and_leibniz.png
    newton_and_leibniz.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 218
At least it is still about reals. Otherwise it would become... complex.

Deveno said:
The scientists at SETI finally decoded a message which appears to be proof of intelligent life in the universe. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense:

It took me a bit of time before I realized they misspelled Itu.
So yeah, it doesn't make sense.

mathbalarka said:
Hello again gentlemen, I hope you enjoyed the (relatively short) time you've spent on MHB without me. Thus I inform, with regret, that you all are, once again, going to see the dark days of MHB now that I've returned. To celebrate this historical moment, I am going to start with a joke I've heard in recent times of my imprisonment in the dungeons of the Necromancer.

View attachment 2991

I think we should integrate the two approaches.

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
It took me a bit of time before I realized they misspelled Itu.
So yeah, it doesn't make sense.

I know, right? Everyone knows its Eetou.

Deveno said:

Wait, I don't get it. Is that referring to "e to the (power of) i pi"? I can't make sense of won snot.

mathbalarka said:
Wait, I don't get it. Is that referring to "e to the (power of) i pi"? I can't make sense of won snot.

It is deliberately misspelling/slangifying "e to the (power of) i pi and one is not(hing)".

I actually pity the little boy's face, hahaha. :rolleyes:

sometimes i look around during a calc test or something and i see people using their fingers to count. I am like come on. you can integrate but can't add 4+5...

Symbolic manipulation becomes easier after so much practice. Can you do $19,245 \times 52,091$ faster than $$\int \sec^2 (x) \, dx?$$

no. i can do it fast but definitely not as fast as integrating sec^2x

Fantini said:
Symbolic manipulation becomes easier after so much practice. Can you do $19,245 \times 52,091$ faster than $$\int \sec^2 (x) \, dx?$$

Code:
----------
----------

Almost ;)

I subscribe to Einstein's point of view: you don't need to know everything, just that it exists and where/how to find it. In any case, it wasn't a fair comparison: $\tan(x)$ has a simple derivative that can easily be memorized, whereas $19245 \times 52091$ is rather arbitrary.

Bacterius said:
Code:
----------
----------

Almost ;)

I subscribe to Einstein's point of view: you don't need to know everything, just that it exists and where/how to find it. In any case, it wasn't a fair comparison: $\tan(x)$ has a simple derivative that can easily be memorized, whereas $19245 \times 52091$ is rather arbitrary.
I was just lucky to stumble upon a nice integral. :cool:

math27.gif
:cool:

fine%2Bline%2Bbetween%2Bnumerator%2Band%2Bdenominator.jpg

There

20141206.png

20141206after.png

Teaching math gets harder every day.

Fantini said:
20141206.png

20141206after.png

Teaching math gets harder every day.

lol 100% samething happens with me. sometimes i tried to explain something which make it harder to understand :D

On the 2nd week of Xmas my teachers gave to me
5 all-nighters
4 hrs of crying
3 mental breakdowns
2 thoughts of dropout
& a month of anxiety.

Here is a secret: it's not that different for a new professor either...

I'm not sure this make really sense in English but ...

When a girl says "I love you with all my forces" I always stay reflecting, Does she knows Newton's law?

One can simplify a lot of stuff in math and physics by just assuming a solid is a sphere...
But this would be a rounding error.

Shakespeare has given us the age-old question: "To be or not to be?"
Computer science has given us the answer: FF.
[sp]0x2B | ~0x2B == 0xFF[/sp]

Why do you so seldom see mathematicians at the beach?

Because they use the sin, and not the sun, to get their tan.

A student was told to expand \(\displaystyle (a+b)^2\). The actual answer is \(\displaystyle a^2 +2ab + b^2\). But the student answered :
\(\displaystyle (\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ a \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ + \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ) \ \ \ \ ^2\)

A chemistry joke, or the Need to state your wishes precisely

A genius high school chemistry student takes a test, gets his score back, and is dismayed to find that he missed exactly one question and thus would not be accepted to his university of choice. He is especially bummed because the question he missed was "how many valence electrons does a hydrogen atom have?" In his haste to complete the test, he had answered 2.

Depressed and despairing, he takes a walk alone along a beach, and is lost in thought when he trips on a metal object in the sand. Picking it up, he finds it to be a brass oil lamp, and as his fingers brush the surface a genie suddenly appears! The genie thunders, "I can grant you anyone wish, but you must answer now. What do you desire?" The student immediately replies, "I wish I had gotten that question right," and the universe explodes.

What do you call Marcel Marceau about an hour after eating a big plate of beans?

Silent, but deadly.

-Dan

One goldfish says to the other goldfish:

"Okay, wise guy!
If there's no God, who changes the water?"

After defeating Lernaean Hydra, Heracles describes the battle to his friend. "So, I cut off its head—four others grow back. I cut off four—three grow back. I cut off three—seven grow back". His friend asks, "So what happened?" Heracles: "Half an hour passed, and no apparent regularity!"