What is the Efficiency of a Cyclic Process?

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of a cycle and the calculation of work and heat input in a graph. The efficiency is defined as a ratio of work done to heat input, and the work can be easily calculated from the area enclosed within the loop in the graph. Heat input occurs during two processes, and the molar specific heat at constant volume and pressure is discussed for a monoatomic gas. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the incorrectness of the given question and the correct value of the gas's specific heat.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment, ignore the arrows made with the pen)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Efficiency of a cycle is defined as ##\eta=\frac{W}{Q}## where W is work done and Q is heat input.

W can be easily calculated by finding the area enclosed within the loop shown in the graph which is equal to ##(P-P_o)V_o##.

Heat input occurs only in the processes, B->A (##Q_1##) and B->C (##Q_2##).
##Q_1=nC_v\Delta T_1## where ##\Delta T_1=\frac{V_o}{nR}(P_o-P)##
##\Rightarrow Q_1=\frac{C_vV_o}{R}(P_o-P)##

##Q_2=nC_p\Delta T_2## and ##\Delta T_2=\frac{P_oV_o}{nR}##
##\Rightarrow Q_2=\frac{C_pP_oV_o}{R}##

[tex]\eta=\frac{W}{Q_1+Q_2}=\cfrac{(P_o-P)V_o}{\cfrac{C_vV_o}{R}(P_o-P)+\cfrac{C_pP_oV_o}{R}}[/tex]
I don't have ##C_p## and ##C_v##, how am I supposed to solve this? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• efficiency.jpg
    efficiency.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,273
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relation between Cp and Cv, and how does Cv depend on the degrees of freedom of the molecules in the gas? Assume monoatomic gas first.

ehild

ehild said:
What is the relation between Cp and Cv, and how does Cv depend on the degrees of freedom of the molecules in the gas? Assume monoatomic gas first.

ehild

The molar specific heat at constant volume is fR/2 and at constant pressure is (f/2+1)R where f is the degrees of freedom. For a monoatomic gas, f=3, hence Cv=3R/2 and Cp=5/2. Substituting the values give ##P=2P_o/7## which is not correct. :confused:

f is not given, you get different pressures for different values of f. f=5 for diatomic gas and f=6 for three or more atomic molecules. For monoatomic gas, your solution should be correct.

ehild

ehild said:
f is not given, you get different pressures for different values of f. f=5 for diatomic gas and f=6 for three or more atomic molecules. For monoatomic gas, your solution should be correct.

ehild

I thought that it would be a bit difficult to put different values of f and find P. The answer in the key is A i.e ##0.3P_o##. I substituted it in the expression I ended up with and replaced ##C_v## and ##C_p## with fR/2 and (f/2+1)R respectively. Solving I got f=50/17. Is the question wrong? :confused:

2/7 is 0.3 with one significant digit. As you had to choose among different data, you should have figured out which was possible.

ehild

ehild said:
2/7 is 0.3 with one significant digit. The question is wrong in the sense that it did not indicate the type of the gas. ((mono-atomic).

ehild

Thank you ehild! :smile:

Related to What is the Efficiency of a Cyclic Process?

1. What is the efficiency of a cyclic process?

The efficiency of a cyclic process is a measure of how much of the energy put into the system is converted into useful work. It is expressed as a percentage and is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the total energy input.

2. How is the efficiency of a cyclic process determined?

The efficiency of a cyclic process is determined by measuring the work output and energy input of the system. This can be done using various instruments and calculations, such as the Carnot efficiency formula or the efficiency formula for heat engines.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of a cyclic process?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of a cyclic process, including the type of process, the design of the system, and any external factors such as temperature or pressure changes. Additionally, friction and other forms of resistance can also decrease the efficiency of a cyclic process.

4. How does the efficiency of a cyclic process compare to other types of processes?

The efficiency of a cyclic process is typically higher than other types of processes, such as irreversible processes. This is because cyclic processes operate in a continuous loop, allowing for the possibility of recycling energy and minimizing energy losses.

5. Can the efficiency of a cyclic process be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a cyclic process can be improved through various methods, such as optimizing the design of the system, reducing friction and resistance, and using more efficient materials. Additionally, advancements in technology and techniques can also lead to improvements in the efficiency of cyclic processes.