What Is the Capacitance of Three Concentric Spherical Shells?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitance for a configuration of 3 concentric metal spherical shells with different charges and potentials. The Gauss's law is used to determine the enclosed charge and the capacitance equation is applied to find the capacitance between two shells. There is uncertainty about how to calculate the capacitance with three shells, but a possible solution is proposed. The question of what happens when the inner and outer shells have the same potential is also raised.
MarkovMarakov

Homework Statement

Hi, I would really appreciate clarification on the definition of capacitance in this context: Suppose I have 3 concentric metal spherical shells and they have charges Q1,Q2,Q3 and potentials 0,V,0 and radii a,b,c respectively, what is the capacitance of the configuration?

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the capacitance is with only 2 spheres but I am not sure what it means with 3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, I have figured it out! :)

I am inclined to answer although I am not 100% this solution is correct so please tell me if this is wrong.

As I'm sure your aware we calculate the capacitance for two concentric circles by
[itex]C=Q/V \; , [/itex]
where from Gauss's law we draw a sphere around the smallest shell.
[itex]V=\int_{a}^{b}E dr = \frac{Q_{enc}}{4 \pi \epsilon} \int_{a}^{b} r^{-2} dr =\frac{Q_{enc}}{4 \pi \epsilon} \left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} \right)[/itex]
Since we are explicitly given the charges on each sphere, I believe the enclosed charge should be that of the innermost sphere. Now here is where I am stuck, the charge described in the capacitance equation refers normally to have a charge q and -q on each side, I am therefore going to assume that Q=abs(Q1-Q2)/2. This is probably wrong but I can't see any other way.
[itex]C_{a \rightarrow b}=\frac{2 \pi \epsilon |Q_{1}-Q_{2}|}{Q_{1}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} \right)} [/itex]

This result holds in the three sphere setup since we only considered the enclosed charge (from Gauss). Therefore this could be easily extended for the third shell giving a second capacitance seen between b and c.

Hope that helps, and isn't completely wrong!

MarkovMarakov said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I would really appreciate clarification on the definition of capacitance in this context: Suppose I have 3 concentric metal spherical shells and they have charges Q1,Q2,Q3 and potentials 0,V,0 and radii a,b,c respectively, what is the capacitance of the configuration?

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what the capacitance is with only 2 spheres but I am not sure what it means with 3.

What is the implication if the inner and outer shells have the same ("zero") potential?

Hi there,

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge. In this context, it refers to the ability of the 3 concentric metal spherical shells to hold their respective charges (Q1, Q2, and Q3) at their given potentials (0, V, and 0) and radii (a, b, and c).

In this scenario, the capacitance of the configuration can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the total charge stored in the system and V is the potential difference between the shells. However, since there are 3 shells involved, it is important to consider the capacitance of each individual shell as well as the overall capacitance of the entire configuration.

To calculate the individual capacitance of each shell, you can use the formula C = 4πε₀ab, where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, a is the inner radius, and b is the outer radius of each shell.

To calculate the overall capacitance of the configuration, you can use the formula 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3, where C1, C2, and C3 are the individual capacitances of each shell. This accounts for the fact that the capacitance of the entire system is dependent on the capacitance of each individual shell.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of capacitance in this context. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

Related to What Is the Capacitance of Three Concentric Spherical Shells?

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical charge. It is typically denoted by the symbol C and is measured in units of farads (F).

How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of stored charge (Q) by the potential difference (V) between the plates of a capacitor. This can be represented by the formula C = Q/V.

What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a material is affected by three main factors: the distance between the plates of a capacitor, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material used as the dielectric.

What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage?

The capacitance of a material is directly proportional to the voltage across the capacitor. This means that as the voltage increases, so does the capacitance, and vice versa.

What are some practical applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications in various fields, including electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. It is commonly used in capacitors, filters, and sensors, and plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as radios, computers, and smartphones.