Capacitance in a Sperical Shell

In summary, the problem involves finding the capacitance of a spherical capacitor formed by two concentric spherical metal shells with different radii and uniform surface charge densities. By using the equations C=Q/ΔV and ΔV = -∫∫^{a}_{b} E . dl, and taking into account the given electric field values, the correct answer can be obtained. One solution provided by the lecturer appears to have a mistake in the substitution of values, while the other one matches the correct solution.
Cazicami

Homework Statement

Consider two concentric spherical metal shells of radii 2m and 4m, situated in free space and carrying uniform surface charge densities of 20nC/m2 and 5nC/m2 respectively.

Find the capacitance C=Q/ΔV of the spherical capacitor formed by the shells. Here Q is the total charge carrying by the smaller spherical shell and ΔV is the potential difference between points of smaller and larger shells.

We know from previous parts of the question that the electric field beyond 4m is 0 and that the electric field for 2 < r < 4 is equivalent to 9x10-3x1/r2 because of the enclosing the inner shell.

Homework Equations

C=Q/ΔV
ΔV = -∫[itex]∫^{a}_{b}[/itex] E . dl

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was simply to use the given equations to calculate C, however my answer and the solution in the past paper are not the same, and I don't understand why not. I am considering that the solutions may be wrong, but I don't think my physics is good enough to be better than my lecturers.

I've attached my solutions in a photo, as well as the lecturers.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your answer is correct. The typed solution appears to be correct up until values were substituted for a and b. ab/(a-b) evaluates to 4, whereas they appear to get 2.

The differing charge numbers and potential difference are of course a smokescreen.

Your solution is correct.

Thanks very much guys :)

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the given information and equations before attempting to solve the problem. In this case, we are dealing with a spherical capacitor formed by two concentric metal shells with different radii and surface charge densities. The goal is to find the capacitance of this capacitor, which is defined as the ratio of charge to potential difference.

To start, we can use the formula C=Q/ΔV, where Q is the total charge on the smaller shell and ΔV is the potential difference between the two shells. From the given information, we know that the smaller shell has a charge of 20nC/m2 and the larger shell has a charge of 5nC/m2. Therefore, the total charge Q on the smaller shell is 20nC/m2 multiplied by the surface area of the shell, which is 4π(2m)2 = 64π nC.

Next, we need to find the potential difference ΔV between the two shells. We can use the formula ΔV = -∫∫^{a}_{b} E . dl, where E is the electric field and dl is the path length between the two shells. Since we are dealing with a spherical capacitor, the electric field can be found using the equation E = 9x10^-3x1/r^2, where r is the distance from the center of the shells. The path length dl can be calculated as the difference between the radii of the shells, which is 4m - 2m = 2m.

Plugging in these values, we get ΔV = -∫∫^{4}_{2} 9x10^-3x1/r^2 . 2m = -9x10^-3 ∫∫^{4}_{2} 1/r^2 . 2m = -9x10^-3 (-1/4) = 9/4 V.

Finally, we can calculate the capacitance C using the formula C=Q/ΔV. Plugging in the values, we get C = (64π nC) / (9/4 V) = 256π / 9 nF. This is the correct answer and matches with the lecturer's solution.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully understand and apply the given equations and information to solve the problem accurately. It is also important to double check the calculations

Related to Capacitance in a Sperical Shell

1. What is capacitance in a spherical shell?

Capacitance in a spherical shell refers to the ability of a hollow spherical conductor to store electrical charge. It is a measure of the amount of charge that can be accumulated on the surface of the shell for a given potential difference between the inner and outer surfaces.

2. How is capacitance in a spherical shell calculated?

The capacitance in a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε₀r, where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radius of the spherical shell. This formula assumes that the shell is very thin and has a uniform charge distribution.

3. What factors affect the capacitance in a spherical shell?

The capacitance in a spherical shell is affected by the radius of the shell, the distance between the inner and outer surfaces, and the material of the shell. It is also affected by the permittivity of the material inside and outside the shell.

4. How does capacitance in a spherical shell relate to electric potential?

The capacitance in a spherical shell is directly proportional to the potential difference between the inner and outer surfaces. This means that as the potential difference increases, the capacitance also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitance in a spherical shell?

Capacitance in a spherical shell is used in various electronic devices, such as capacitors, radio antennas, and particle accelerators. It is also important in the study of electrostatics and can be applied in the design of equipment for high voltage testing and measurement.