What is Computational Finance?

In summary, most people with this type of job have a graduate degree. They are usually high pressure and stressful. They are in high demand and can earn a lot of money.
Granny11
Hello,

I'm in my last year of a B.Sc with a double major in math and physics. I was somewhat interested in becoming an actuary, and was discussing it with a friend of mine when he brought up computational finance as an alternative.

I did some 'googling' about it, and i seems pretty interesting. I see a lot of schools offer a 16month Master's pogram in computational finance, or mathematical finance etc etc.

Is anyone involved, or looking into a similar program? Are people with these types of jobs in high demand? Are salaries in this field competitive? The master's programs I've read about certainly sound interesting, but what are the jobs in this field like? Are they high pressure, and stressful like many finance related jobs are? Are you stuck working 60 hours a week?

Sorry for the barrage or questions, but I'm having trouble finding useful information since this field seems to go by a number of different names. I read on Carnegie Mellon's site that after a 16 month program, 100% of their graduates were employed, and the mean salary somewhere around $80,000 plus some ridiculous signing bonuses. This just seemed too good to be true, since most things I'm interested in pay poorly!

Thanks for any help or insight you can offer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Judging from some of your questions you need to look harder, try wilmott.com and nuclear phynance as start.

% Cranky mode off

However, you definitely need a graduate degree.

is it somehow related to financial modellings ?

if it is just the financial accounting u can go for cfa ...

even I am confused .i want to pursue finance as my future .i am in second year ,engg grad

tell me if you have something apt for me related to finance which i can start right away

Related to What is Computational Finance?

1. What is computation finance?

Computation finance is a field of study that combines mathematics, computer science, and finance to develop and apply computational models and algorithms for analyzing financial data, making financial decisions, and managing financial risk.

2. How is computation finance used in the real world?

Computation finance is used in a variety of industries and applications, including investment management, risk management, asset pricing, financial analysis, and trading strategies. It is also used in areas such as insurance, banking, and corporate finance.

3. What are some common techniques used in computation finance?

Some common techniques used in computation finance include Monte Carlo simulations, numerical methods, option pricing models, data analysis and machine learning, and optimization algorithms. These techniques are used to model and analyze financial markets, assets, and risks.

4. What skills are required to work in computation finance?

Professionals in computation finance typically have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. They also need to have a good understanding of financial principles and markets, as well as programming skills and experience with relevant software and tools.

5. What are the benefits of using computation finance?

The use of computation finance can provide more accurate and efficient financial analysis, decision-making, and risk management. It can also help identify patterns and trends in financial data, and provide insights for developing effective trading strategies and investment portfolios.