What is a readable intro text for electronic materials (material science)?

In summary, the conversation is about a search for a good introductory book on material science, specifically electronic materials, for a Physics major in their sophomore year. A suggested book is available on Amazon with a CD containing additional solved exercises, but it may not be on par with other texts in solid state physics. The person had to use a newer version of a textbook written by a professor at their university and did not like it due to its lack of mathematical explanations and proofs.
Ashuron
As the title,

Anyone know any good readable intro book of material science, especially dealing with electronic materials(semiconductors,etc.)?

I am a Physics major in sophomore year..
I took Calc 1-3, linear algebra, ODE and some intro EM and modern physics

Physics news on Phys.org
You can probably have a look at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071244581/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The accompanying CD contains additional solved exercises.Edit: I just read that you're a physics major, this book is really introductory and doesn't go deep, it isn't on par with any of the texts in solid state physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, it's ok I guess..
I only need an intro book for some research project

I had to use the newer version of Kasap (who is a professor at my university), and I really did not like the textbook. There is a lot information, but the math is severely lacking, along with proofs.

, so I have some background..

A readable and comprehensive introduction to electronic materials is essential for any curious mind interested in the field of material science. Whether you are a Physics major with some background in calculus, linear algebra, ODE, and introductory EM and modern physics, or simply someone looking to expand your knowledge on semiconductors and other electronic materials, there are plenty of great resources available. So, if you are searching for a well-written and easy to understand book on this topic, look no further! Keep reading to discover some of the best introductory books on electronic materials that will take you on a fascinating journey through the world of material science.

Related to What is a readable intro text for electronic materials (material science)?

1. What is an intro text for electronic materials in material science?

An intro text for electronic materials in material science is a brief summary or overview of the key concepts and principles related to electronic materials. It introduces the reader to the field of material science and its application to electronic materials.

2. Why is a readable intro text important for electronic materials?

A readable intro text is important for electronic materials because it provides a foundation of understanding for the reader. It helps to make complex concepts more accessible and can spark interest in the subject matter. It also sets the tone for the rest of the material and can determine whether the reader will continue reading or not.

3. What makes a good intro text for electronic materials?

A good intro text for electronic materials should be concise, clear, and engaging. It should provide a brief overview of the topic, highlight the key points, and use language that is accessible to a wide audience. It should also be well-structured and organized in a logical manner.

4. How can I improve my intro text for electronic materials?

To improve your intro text for electronic materials, it is important to first understand your audience and their level of knowledge about the subject. This will help you to tailor your language and level of detail accordingly. It is also helpful to include relevant examples or real-world applications to make the text more relatable. Lastly, have someone else read and provide feedback on your intro text to ensure it is clear and understandable.

5. Are there any resources available to help write an intro text for electronic materials?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with writing an intro text for electronic materials. You can consult textbooks, online articles, and scientific journals for examples and inspiration. Additionally, you can seek feedback from peers or a mentor in the field to ensure your intro text is accurate and effective.