Can You Learn Advanced Math and Science While in Jail?

• Thread starter CuriousBanker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the person posting this conversation will be spending 1 year in jail for selling weed and is looking for suggestions on what subjects and textbooks to self-teach during their time in jail. The suggested list includes geometry, precalculus, calculus, chemistry, physics, combinatorics, probability theory, set theory, abstract algebra, and more. It is recommended to prioritize certain subjects and to start with probability theory early on. The individual is interested in learning more about math and hopes to make the most of their time in jail.
CuriousBanker
Hello all,

I will be spending 1 year in jail for selling weed (please don't judge). I am very business savvy, and have always been very good with the math I needed to know (which was mostly just algebra). I have always been interested in learning advanced mathematics and chemistry/physics, but I never had time due to working a full time job, owning two businesses, my illegal dealings, and spending time with my wife. Since I will have nothing at all to do in jail, I figure I should use my time productively and learn the things I never had the time to learn on the outside. Since this is a county jail, there will not be classes, and I will have no internet access. So the only resource I can rely on is books. So what I need you guys to help me on if you would be so kind, is to 1) tell me the order of things I should learn in 2) Tell me which textbooks would be the best for self-teaching those subjects (they have to be paperback).

What I was able to come up with as far as curriculum and self teaching books, by browsing some college curriculums, would be something like this:

1) Subject: Geometry. Book: Art of problem solving (Geometry)

2) Subject: Precalculus. Book: Precalculus: Mathematics for calculus (Stewart)

3) Book: How to prove it (Velleman)

4) Subject: Calc 1-2. Book: Calculus by Spivak

5) Subject: Calc 3. Book: Calculus III (Marsden)

6) Subject: Intro to chemistry. Book: Chemical Principles (Atkins)

7) Subject: Intro to physics. Book: University Physics with modern physics (Sears and Zemansky)

8) Subject: organic chemistry. Book: Organic chemistry as a second language

9) Subject: Linear algeba. Book: Linear algebra and its applications (Strang)

10) Subject: ODE Book: ODE (Dover book)

11) Subject: PDE. Book: Introduction to PDE by E. C. Zachmanoglou

12) Subject: Combinatorics. Book: Principles an techniques in combinatorics (KOH

13) Dover book on probability theory

14) Statistical inference by casella

15) A book of set theory (dover)

16) A book of abstract algebra (pinter)

17) elementary number theory (dover)

18) Real analysis (bass)

19) Mathematical finance (alhabeeb)

20) stochastic calculus (springer)

21) stochastic calculus 2 (shreve)Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a bad guy, and I want to try to make the most of a bad situation by at least improving my knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Likes ISamson, Demystifier, kent davidge and 6 others
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a good list. If you can get through all that in a year you'll be doing well. My only suggestions are:
  • Check whether the combinatorics requires knowledge of probability, as many combinatorics problems are couched in terms of probability.
  • Check whether the probability theory book covers the theoretical foundations or is just pragmatic. If it covers the theory, which is necessary to properly cover stochastic processes, it will use concepts like 'sigma algebras' (aka 'sigma fields') and 'measures', and they are easier to grasp if you have already studied real analysis. If it does cover those, you might like to put real analysis before probability theory.

I don't see anything in the probability book about those things you mentioned. Do you have a suggestion for a good probability book?

And would a better order after PDE be Real analysis ---> Probability theory -----> combinatorics?

Keep in mind I don't even know what half these subjects are. I just know I am interested in math and will have a lot of time on my hands.

I don't really think I will be able to get through anywhere near the full list I put down, but I figured better to have a long list and just finish the rest when I come out if I have to.

Also, is that enough chem/physics on my list? I want to learn more on those too, but want to learn the math first. Just not sure if I need to learn more chem/physics in the meanwhile to be able to understand the basis for the math.

Your list is more than long. I wouldn't go as far as @andrewkirk and suggest the knowledge of σ-algebras and measure theory is actually needed, as long as you don't want to specialize yourself on the subject. I know that there might be different views around here. I have https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387901388/?tag=pfamazon01-20 which covers measures (and σ-algebras) in the context of analysis (calculus). It also covers fundamentals on set theory. However, it has nearly 500 pages and I'd say it is hard to read within one year cover to cover without previous knowledge. (The Springer server they directed me to is currently under maintenance, but you might get a look into it later for Springer provides reading samples. I googled "hewitt+stromberg+real+abstract+analysis".)

So in my opinion you should add priorities to the list. E.g. classic geometry and number theory are rather special subjects you might not want to spend a lot of time on. Whatever you decide to do, please be prepared that very likely you will only get a couple of books done on your list.

In any case I wish you success (and patience).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes S.G. Janssens
CuriousBanker said:
I don't see anything in the probability book about those things you mentioned. Do you have a suggestion for a good probability book?
If it doesn't get into that deeper stuff that's probably good, for getting started with probability. You don't need them to get the hang of probability. They become necessary to make sense of continuous stochastic processes, but they would only appear in the last three books in your list.

Given that, I'd suggest doing the probability theory as early as you can. If employment prospects are part of your aim then proficiency with probability and statistics are arguably the most useful mathematical skills one can have in today's job market.

If the finance texts are included with a view to later employability you might like to consider a more practical, less theoretical book as (1) you will be able to do it much earlier in the list - really as soon as you've covered Spivak's calculus (maybe even just the pre-calculus) and (2) it'll cover more practical aspects like the structure of markets and tradable instruments. The 'Bible' of the industry is John Hull's 'Options, Futures and other Derivatives'. Unfortunately, all the versions I've seen are hardback, but Amazom seems to imply that paperback versions may exist. Failing that, you could ask a friend to buy the hardback and replace the cover with a soft cover.

Likes S.G. Janssens
CuriousBanker said:
4) Subject: Calc 1-2. Book: Calculus by Spivak

Bad idea if this is your first encounter to calculus. I recommend Lang's first course together with Keisler. After that you might want to do Spivak.

Here would be my book list. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Geometry I and II - Kiselev
Elements - Euclid
Trigonometry - Gelfand
Precalculus mathematics in a nutshell - Simmons
Basic mathematics - Lang
First course in calculus - Lang
Elementary calculus - Keisler
Differential Equations - Ross
How to prove it - Velleman
Understanding Analysis - Abbott
Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential forms - Hubbard
Linear Algebra - Friedberg
Probability - Morin
Abstract Algebra - Anderson, Feil

Likes Demystifier, NathanaelNolk and S.G. Janssens
One can debate about which book is most suitable for a certain subject, but following up on post #4 I think your list is way too long. It may be good to focus more on fundamentals (see post #7). Also forget about physics and chemistry for the moment.

Meanwhile, it may also be important to lift your spirit by reading about prospective applications that motivate you. For example, if you fancy to go in the direction of mathematical finance, take the advice in post #5 into account: there are quite accessible titles nowadays that do not require the heavy apparatus of continuous stochastic calculus and the underlying real analysis. Some introductory probability books treat finance examples as well.

Finally, you wrote that you do not have an internet connection in jail. Is there someone outside that will visit you regularly? You could pass that person your questions in writing and (s)he could post them here for discussion and feedback. Then (s)he could print the thread and pass it back to you.

Likes NathanaelNolk, BiGyElLoWhAt, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
Krylov said:
Finally, you wrote that you do not have an internet connection in jail. Is there someone outside that will visit you regularly? You could pass that person your questions in writing and (s)he could post them here for discussion and feedback. Then (s)he could print the thread and pass it back to you.

That's a pretty neat suggestion! I would definitely be available to help the OP in this way!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, vanhees71, fresh_42 and 2 others
micromass said:
That's a pretty neat suggestion! I would definitely be available to help the OP in this way!
So would I. I think you have a lot more experience helping students with self-studying, though. OP, I think you should take his offer.

Krylov said:
So would I. I think you have a lot more experience helping students with self-studying, though. OP, I think you should take his offer.

If it is possible, he could just create a thread where somebody posts questions regularly and we answer.

That's really awesome of you guys to want to go so far out of your way to help me like that. Gives me a little faith in humanity. However, I think it would be really hard to understand what you guys are saying by my wife relaying messages for me. I think I have to just do what I can with the books and then when I get out ask questions

Micromass, thanks for the book list, I'll replace mine with yours. After that book list, what subjects will I be missing? Where will I have to pick up when I'm out?

Also, how many total self study hours do you guys estimate you need to become an expert? I know this is a seriously broad question, as you can spend your whole life learning and still not know it all

CuriousBanker said:
That's really awesome of you guys to want to go so far out of your way to help me like that. Gives me a little faith in humanity. However, I think it would be really hard to understand what you guys are saying by my wife relaying messages for me. I think I have to just do what I can with the books and then when I get out ask questions

I don't think that's a good idea really. You're going to hit a wall sooner or later, and waiting a full year to get answers is a bad idea. Worse, you might even tell yourself you understand it while you totally don't.

I understand that relaying messages is going to be tough, but I would really take time to put in place such a system. While in jail, you should study the books carefully. You should solve ALL problems. Then when you don't understand something, you think about it for a few days. And when you still don't, you write a very good and well-formed question on a piece of paper. Then your wife posts this on this forum.

Is it a good system? No, it's going to be really hard. But it's a lot lot lot LOT better than nothing. Believe me, you will soon be very glad you are following this system.

Micromass, thanks for the book list, I'll replace mine with yours. After that book list, what subjects will I be missing? Where will I have to pick up when I'm out?

To be honest, I'll be surprised if you can manage my book list further than calculus. What I put down is just going to be too much for a year. So work through the book list and when you get out, we can talk about what direction you'll be intending to go.

Also, how many total self study hours do you guys estimate you need to become an expert? I know this is a seriously broad question, as you can spend your whole life learning and still not know it all

I refuse to answer these questions, because I think it would do you a disservice. How many hours do you need to self-study a subject? As much as you need to understand it. That's the honest answer. If you need to spend 4 months on calculus (just a random figure I just made up), then you spend 4 months. Rushing it has never done anybody any good. If I tell you it takes 3 months, and you're only in the half of the book by 3 months, then you're going to feel bad for no reason. It will take you as long as is necessary.

I hate schedules and plannings. They never work out anyway and they only give undue stress.

So start studying the moment you get in. Read all the pages. Work ALL the problems. If it takes a week, then that's fine. If it takes you a year to complete one book, that's fine too. Don't put this kind of pressure on yourself. The important thing is that you'll be learning new and exciting stuff (and that you'll be keeping yourself busy).

Likes Wrichik Basu
Great, thank you so much. Should I just have my wife post questions in this thread, or start a new thread for each question?

Also, thanks for not responding with "dont break the law you piece of crap!" as some other people on other sites have. I was making 20k a week and supporting my entire family and giving to charity and stuff. Not a bad guy, just a rebel.

CuriousBanker said:
Great, thank you so much. Should I just have my wife post questions in this thread, or start a new thread for each question?

Maybe it's best to use this thread since in a new thread, the responders won't have an idea of your rather unique situation. So that might be problematic.

Also, thanks for not responding with "dont break the law you piece of crap!" as some other people on other sites have. I was making 20k a week and supporting my entire family and giving to charity and stuff. Not a bad guy, just a rebel.

To be honest, using or dealing weed shouldn't really be against the law these days. It's such a dumb thing to go to jail for. If you want to outlaw it, you got to be honest and outlaw alcohol and tobacco too. But the government gets a huge amount of taxes from these substances, so I think their position is rather hypocrite.

Not that the type of your offence matters to me really. Even if you committed an actual crime, I would still try to help you as much as I can.

Likes spaceodyssey
One thing you really will need is someone to do some of your mathematics with. If you can find another person there with even some interest in algebra, it will be very helpful. I know from experience even with projects at the workplace, when you are assigned to it by yourself, without anyone to work through it with you, it will seem pointless and likely to never get done. If you show another person even a little of what you are working on, you will find much more reason for your studies and it will be much enjoyable and productive.

Likes lomidrevo
Do you have an alternative for the following books (because I can't find paperback, and I can't use hardcover. I can't have somebody remove the hardcover and send it to me, because it has to be shipped to me directly from the book store)

Geometry 1 and 2, kiselev

Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential forms by hubbard

Abstract Algebra - Anderson, FeilEverything else was available in paperback.

CuriousBanker said:
Do you have an alternative for the following books (because I can't find paperback, and I can't use hardcover. I can't have somebody remove the hardcover and send it to me, because it has to be shipped to me directly from the book store)

Geometry 1 and 2, kiselev

Tell me which of the followng are available:

Euclidean Geometry - Solomonovich
Geometry: Euclid and Beyond - Hartshorne
Elementary Geometry from advanced - Moise
Geometry - Brannan

Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential forms by hubbard

Apostol Calculus (both)

Abstract Algebra - Anderson, Feil

Go with Pinter then.Please tell me which books you'll be getting so I can provide you with a chronology of when to tackle each.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

All of the geometry books are available (moise is quite expensive)

The other ones are good too.

Which geometry book should I use?

I always had the fantasy of going to jail and have enough time to read all the books that I want to but I don't have the time. So make it happen for me!:biggrin:

Likes CarmineS, Demystifier and Amrator
CuriousBanker said:
All of the geometry books are available (moise is quite expensive)

The other ones are good too.

Which geometry book should I use?

Another book: geometry by Lang https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387966544/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would go about it the following way:

Stage 1: Read Solomonovich and Velleman concurrently
Stage 2: Read Gelfand trig, Euclid's Elements and Lang's geometry concurrently
Stage 3: Read Simmons and Lang's basic math concurrently, also start reading Moise
Stage 4: Read Lang's calculus and Keisler calculus concurrently
Stage 5: Read Apostol and Ross concurrently
Stage 6: Read Friedberg and Abbott concurrently
Stage 7: Read Brannan and Pinter concurrently
Stage 8: Read Hartshorne and Morin concurrently

For Euclid's Elements I highly recommend the following book which has notes and exercises: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1518674704/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Do not get a version of the elements without notes! Also, there is no need to go beyond book 6 in Euclid, unless you thoroughly enjoy it of course.

Together with going through all this math, I highly recommend going through the following book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195061357/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It should be easy reading. It has a second and third volume too, but that's for when you have more advanced knowledge.

What is mathematics - richard courant.

Principles of mathematics - Allendoerfer and Oakley.

Chemistry the central science - good book..

Fundamentals of physics by halliday and resnick.

Shayan.J said:
I always had the fantasy of going to jail and have enough time to read all the books that I want to but I don't have the time. So make it happen for me!:biggrin:

Trust me, jail is no fantasy. I was in there for 3 weeks before I got bailed out...no outside, no gym, no library, 4 book a month max. No sex, 3 hours of visits per week in which you can only give a quick peck and short hug to your wife. The food is beyond horrid...sucks

Micromass, how do I read books concurrently? Like...10 pages of one, 10 pages of another, 10 pages of a third? I never thought concurrently was a good idea, always thought was best to finish one then move to another.

Also, you feel strongly that five books on geometry is necessary?

CuriousBanker said:
Micromass, how do I read books concurrently? Like...10 pages of one, 10 pages of another, 10 pages of a third? I never thought concurrently was a good idea, always thought was best to finish one then move to another.

Beginners always ask me this when I tell them they should read multiple books at the same time. They're always very surprised and they always tell me that they prefer to finish one then move to the other. They always come to prefer my way of handling things though.

The thing is that math is interrelated. And if you do books concurrently, you will see connection that you will otherwise books. Doing multiple books at the same time is very revealing and helpful. Furthermore, it will stop you from advancing too quickly in one book. Yes, advancing too quickly is a very dangerous thing. You need time to digest concept in your subconscious. Reading 50 pages in one book in one day will mean you won't be able to digest a concept. Balancing several books means you go slower in your books, which is better.

Also, you feel strongly that three books on geometry is necessary?

200 years ago, mathematicians weren't called mathematicians, they were called geometers. Geometry is absolutely key to advanced mathematics. A lot of theories and problems are inherently geometrical in nature. Furthermore, proofs in geometry are about the easiest proofs there are (they can still be tough though). So to practice proofs, you should do them in geometry first.

Likes Demystifier
Thank you so much for all of your help, micromass. I have been pretty negative in life lately, but people like you remind me that there are good people out htere.

Shayan.J said:
I've always wished that I had more time to read up on things that I'm interested in, but I wouldn't go so far as possibly insulting the OP by equating their situation with this "fantasy". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would you "trade places" with them? You could catch up on all that reading you've been fantasizing about.

Tallus Bryne said:
I've always wished that I had more time to read up on things that I'm interested in, but I wouldn't go so far as possibly insulting the OP by equating their situation with this "fantasy". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but would you "trade places" with them? You could catch up on all that reading you've been fantasizing about.
Insulting?...OK, I think its better not to explain anything. I apologize if it was inappropriate.

Shayan.J said:
Insulting?...OK, I think its better not to explain anything. I apologize if it was inappropriate.

It wasn't inappropriate. Some people are just weird (Tallus Bryne). It is better to just ignore them.

Usually you won't have much time in jail to learn everything like so within one year. I would be sad to death while counting the days left till I could take a leave on the prison if I were you.

Last edited:
Like I said in a previous post, it's good to try to learn some mathematics while in prison, but your best hope is that you can get a couple of other people very interested in it as well. With a good attitude and a couple of people that also pick up on the subject, you could make a very difficult time be somewhat manageable. Hoping you can get a couple other people to take an interest in it as well.

Likes Pepper Mint
This is jail, not prison.

Regarding this book: "Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential forms" by Hubbard, my impression is that you purchase directly from the Hubbard's themselves. Might be worth asking if they could remove the hardcover before sending.

The other nice thing about Hubbard's book is that there is a solutions manual available which might be useful if the question ask/answer cycle gets bogged down at any point.