What is a good start to learning quantum physics?

In summary, at this age, I would recommend you study hard in physics and mathematics courses, and ask your teachers for suggestions at an appropriate level.
Shulk
I've read a lot of the basic things about them and I'm really interested in them but I honestly have no idea where to start looking at!
I'm guessing can't start on quantum mechanics so could someone tell me everything I'd need to learn before taking them on?
I'm 14 at 9th grade and so far I know some algebra and I haven't really had any problems with maths, so far they've been pretty easy. Could someone guide me to a book or guide around my level to start looking at?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, people who study quantum mechanics at a reasonably relevant level are university students with a relatively strong background in both physics and mathematics. I believe diving right down into this level would be discouraging for you simply because of the lack of prerequisites.

Instead, I would recommend that you study hard in your physics and mathematics courses. If you feel you want to get further faster you can ask your teachers for suggestions at an appropriate level, perhaps the textbook for your next course or for an introductory course at high-school level.

Physics and mathematics are fun, but you have to allow yourself time to absorb the prerequisites before delving deeper. I know it can be frustrating (when I was your age I was upset the high-school curriculum did not seem to include any general relativity), but it is the best advice I can give if you are genuinely interested.

Quantum mechanics would take a while, but you could do what Feynman did at age 13 or something and try to learn calculus. On your horizon would be trigonometry, calculus, and introductory physics. Telling you more subjects than that would probably just overwhelm you at this point, although more geometry might also be good to develop your mathematical mind, if you know how to study it properly.

Related to What is a good start to learning quantum physics?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as atoms and photons, at a microscopic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of these particles in terms of probabilities and waves rather than definite measurements.

2. Why is it important to learn quantum physics?

Quantum physics has greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental laws and workings of the universe. It has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips, and has potential for even more revolutionary developments in the future. Additionally, learning quantum physics can also help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills.

3. What is a good starting point for learning quantum physics?

A good starting point for learning quantum physics is to have a strong foundation in classical physics, particularly in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, as these are essential tools in quantum physics.

4. What are some helpful resources for learning quantum physics?

There are many resources available for learning quantum physics, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended textbooks include "Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair I.M. Rae and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. Online resources such as MIT's OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer free courses and lectures on quantum physics.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to learn quantum physics?

While having a background in physics can be helpful in understanding the principles and concepts of quantum physics, it is not necessary to have a formal education in physics to learn it. With a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to learn, anyone can begin studying quantum physics. However, it is important to note that quantum physics can be a challenging subject, so having a basic understanding of physics can make the learning process easier.