What is a good, basic organic chemistry textbook?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person looking to purchase a textbook to self-teach about a subject. They requested recommendations for affordable options and mentioned that they were not part of a university or course. One person suggested the McMurry textbook, specifically the 4th edition which they used in university, but also mentioned that older editions are available at a lower cost. Another person suggested books by David Klein, noting that they are easy to understand but lacking in problems.
Xell
I would like to buy a textbook to learn about this subject, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to buy, thank you very much for any responses. Not too expensive please. I am teaching this to my self if matters. Not part of university or other courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xell said:
I would like to buy a textbook to learn about this subject, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to buy, thank you very much for any responses. Not too expensive please. I am teaching this to my self if matters. Not part of university or other courses.
I have the books by David Klein. Easy to follow book (comprehensible language and plenty of examples) but lacks problems.

Related to What is a good, basic organic chemistry textbook?

What is a good, basic organic chemistry textbook?

A good, basic organic chemistry textbook is one that covers all the fundamental concepts and reactions in organic chemistry in a clear and concise manner. It should also have plenty of practice problems and examples to reinforce the material.

What should I look for in a good organic chemistry textbook?

When choosing a good organic chemistry textbook, look for one that has a strong emphasis on understanding concepts rather than memorization. It should also have a clear organization and presentation of material, as well as supplemental resources such as online tutorials or practice quizzes.

What is the recommended level of difficulty for a basic organic chemistry textbook?

A basic organic chemistry textbook should be at an introductory level, suitable for first or second year undergraduate students. It should cover all the necessary material for a basic understanding of organic chemistry without being too complex or overwhelming.

Are there any specific authors or publishers that are known for producing good organic chemistry textbooks?

Some authors and publishers that are known for producing good organic chemistry textbooks include David Klein, John McMurry, and Paula Yurkanis Bruice. It is always recommended to do some research and read reviews before selecting a textbook.

Do I need a separate textbook for organic chemistry laboratory?

It is not necessary to have a separate textbook for organic chemistry laboratory, as most basic organic chemistry textbooks include sections on laboratory techniques and experiments. However, some professors may require a specific lab manual in addition to the textbook.