Quantum mechanics textbook?

• Thread starter jqmhelios
  • Start date
jqmhelios
TL;DR Summary: Lectures of critically inadequate quality have resulted in a total lack of understanding of the subject. Several 'famous' textbooks have made the situation worse

I am a student in year 2 physics.
This past academic year, I had a lecturer who effectively plagiarised a textbook when lecturing- all I was doing was writing a textbook out. Now, I am sitting with a lecture notebook full of nonstop derivations and zero worked examples, and as such have no clue what to revise, where to revise, how to revise, etc.

I need a textbook which will:
a) Help me learn quantum mechanics
b) Not be derivation heavy.

I won't even attempt to learn any derivations. I could (I did drama so memorising many pages is no problem for me), but it goes against my ethics in which I try to understand, not memorise.

The following textbooks I do not regard as good or adequate, which did not help and have only caused distress in me because they are addressed at a level too high above my own:

1) A. Rae 'Quantum mechanics' is not good enough (this is the worst out of the 3 because it is 99% derivations and 1% actual worked examples, and to make matters worse this is the only one with material similar to what was done in lectures)

2) D. Griffiths is not good enough

3) Landau is not good enough

Help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Quantum Mechanics by Cohen-Tannoudji? it is a good reference in Europe and contains everything you'll ever need. Some heavy derivations are nicely put in chapter "complements" that can be skipped or read at your own will.

Edit: The reference also for worked examples are Walter Greiner's books. There is one on introduction to quantum mechanics, which I have not particularly read. Beware some people hate the Greiners for being "lazy" written, some love them, it is up to you.

Last edit: if you find that the fundamentals of quantum mechanics are confusing, you are far from being the only one. Personally, I found that I needed to have the full picture before working it out all-over again with a clear sight.

Last to last edit: If you feel that the Griffiths is a level too high, maybe you need some complements to read with those. Try Feynman's Lectures III and Susskind's Theoretical Minimum. Also any book on "Introduction to Modern Physics" will give you the basics.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21 and dextercioby
jqmhelios said:
I won't even attempt to learn any derivations. I could (I did drama so memorising many pages is no problem for me), but it goes against my ethics in which I try to understand, not memorise.
The derivations are what allows you to understand why the calculation procedures "work." A typical complaint is, "I can work the problems but I don't understand why the answers are correct." You need to do both, the derivations and the practical problems.

pines-demon said:
Also any book on "Introduction to Modern Physics" will give you the basics.
This is good advice.

Likes DeBangis21, PhDeezNutz, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
I'm not going to suggest a book because I doubt that is really the issue. I suggest finding a tutor for a few hours and see if things then make more sense. A tutor could just be a fellow student who seems to get it.

Likes PhDeezNutz
gmax137 said:
.... I used Eisberg's "Fundamentals of Modern Physics" as an undergrad and thought it was good. I just looked, mine is copyright 1961. Yikes.
I also think this is an excellent textbook. I've had my copy since 1969. It was the text for my first undergrad course in quantum mechanics.