What graduate schools are competitive for me?

In summary, you are a University of Montreal undergraduate student with a strong GPA and good recommendations. You are interested in pursuing a MSc in astrophysics or theoretical physics and are considering American schools as well. You are wondering about GRE scores and funding opportunities and have a list of schools that you are considering.
Catria
Hi everyone. I am an University of Montreal joint physics-mathematics undergraduate student with a GPA that is either 3.7, 3.67 or 3.61 (depends on how you report and calculate it). I want to make a MSc despite lack of research experience as an undergrad. I have good recommendation letters in the works and it appears I have covered graduate-level coursework as an undergrad (ask me for the details).

My recommenders told me that my file would be competitive for Tufts and Brown at the MSc level, so I'll include them into my school list, despite them being really long shots IMO.

I want to do research in astrophysics (white dwarfs, neutron stars, exoplanets) or theoretical physics (particle physics, statistical mechanics) For American schools I wonder what kind of GRE scores would make me competitive.

Here's my school list:

Canadian schools:

University of Montreal
University of Toronto
McGill

American schools:

Brown
Boston University
Penn State University
Rutgers
Tufts

If you have other schools to suggest me, please state an academically accessible school with funding enough not to go deep into debt (TA and/or RA) because I think Canadian banks won't let me take out loans to study these subfields of physics at the graduate level in the US, since I'm confident that, if I got into any of the three Canadian schools I listed I will get enough funding if I can actually attend the school (i.e. finding a supervisor on time) not to incur debt at all.

However, for all schools listed (except maybe the Quebec ones) MSc applicants are automatically considered for PhD direct entry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a MSc in astrophysics or theoretical physics. It sounds like you have a strong academic background and good recommendations, which are important factors in the graduate school application process.

In terms of GRE scores, it's difficult to say exactly what would make you competitive as it can vary from school to school. However, a general rule of thumb is to aim for scores in the 90th percentile or above. This would demonstrate strong quantitative and analytical skills, which are important for success in these fields.

In addition to the schools you have listed, I would suggest looking into some other top universities in the US such as Harvard, MIT, Caltech, and Princeton. These schools have strong programs in astrophysics and theoretical physics and may be a good fit for your interests.

As for funding, it's great that you are considering the financial aspect of graduate school. I would recommend reaching out to the schools you are interested in to inquire about their funding opportunities for international students. Many universities offer assistantships and fellowships that can help cover tuition and living expenses.

Best of luck with your applications!

Related to What graduate schools are competitive for me?

What graduate schools are competitive for me?

This is a common question for students who are considering applying to graduate school. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including your academic performance, research experience, and the specific program you are interested in. Some graduate schools may be more competitive than others, so it's important to research each program individually.

What is considered a competitive GPA for graduate school?

Typically, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is considered competitive for graduate school. However, this may vary depending on the program and school you are applying to. Some highly competitive programs may require a higher GPA, while others may have a lower minimum requirement. It's important to check the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.

What kind of research experience is attractive to graduate schools?

Graduate schools often look for candidates who have research experience, as it demonstrates a strong interest and aptitude for their chosen field of study. This experience can include conducting independent research projects, participating in research internships, or working as a research assistant. The type and depth of research experience can vary depending on the program, so it's important to research the specific expectations for each program you are interested in.

What other factors besides GPA and research experience make a candidate competitive for graduate school?

In addition to GPA and research experience, graduate schools also consider other factors when evaluating applicants. These may include letters of recommendation, personal statements, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and relevant work or volunteer experience. It's important to present a well-rounded application that highlights your strengths in all of these areas.

Are there any resources available to help me determine which graduate schools may be a good fit for me?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you research and identify graduate schools that may be a good fit for you. These include websites such as GradSchools.com and Peterson's, which allow you to search for programs by field of study, location, and other criteria. You can also reach out to your professors, academic advisors, and current graduate students for advice and recommendations. It can also be helpful to attend graduate school fairs or information sessions to learn more about different programs and speak directly with representatives from the schools you are interested in.