What Frequencies Emerge in a Sampled Signal of Mixed Sine Waves?

In summary: No. ω is the RADIAN frequency, in rads/sec. f is ω/2π and is in Hz (CYCLES per second).In summary, the sampled signal has three frequencies present, which are 10, 30, and 50 Hz.
skrat

Homework Statement

A continuous signal $$x(t)=15\sin (10t)+5\sin(30t)+3\sin(50t)$$ is sampled with frequency $\Omega =4.0$ Hz. Which frequencies are present in the sampled signal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea really. I seriously doubt it is that easy:

Frequencies 10,30,50 are all greater than 4 Hz, meaning all three frequencies and probably even more? th question is how to find the others?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
Frequencies 10,30,50 are all greater than 4 Hz, meaning all three frequencies and probably even more?

Are you sure about that?? What does the Nyquist therom state?

Likes skrat
cpscdave said:
Are you sure about that?? What does the Nyquist therom state?
It basically says that all frequencies above $\Omega /2$ are removed from the sampled signal to prevent aliasing of higher frequencies.

Unless you pass the signal through some filter before hand the frequencies are not removed by doing the sampling.
So this question is asking you to figure out what the aliased frequencies your going to find are.

cpscdave said:
Unless you pass the signal through some filter before hand the frequencies are not removed by doing the sampling.
Ok, good point.

Than I assume of course all frequencies from the input signal (10 Hz, 30 Hz and 50 Hz) and ..
$$f_0=10+2\pi n$$$$f_1=30+2\pi n$$$$f_2=50+2\pi n$$

Any others?

I think you've missed something here :)

As I always understood it Nyquist said basically that you can accurate represent frequencies upto HALF the sample rate. Anything that is higher than that will get aliased. (Have you covered frequency domain stuffs? these questions are super easy in the freq domain)
So you are not going to see in your question 10, 30 and 50 in the sampled signal. Instead you are going to see whatever those frequencies alias too.

Likes skrat
We have covered frequency domain stuff but we haven't done much examples, therefore I am having some troubles now.

Ok doing Fourier transformation on my ##x(t)## leaves me with three frequencies ##f_1=10## Hz, ##f_2=30## Hz and ##f_3=50## Hz. Since all those frequencies are greater than the half of my sampling rate ##\Omega =4## Hz, my sample will contain only the aliased frequencies - if I can express myself that way.
And according to the link you provided $$f_a=|Rn-\Omega|$$ meaning
$$f_{a1}=|4\cdot 2 -10|Hz =2 Hz$$ $$f_{a2}=|4\cdot 7 -30|Hz =2 Hz$$ $$f_{a3}=|4\cdot 12 -50|Hz =2 Hz$$ which leads to a conclusion that despite the original system consists of three different frequencies, the sampled signal will have only one, which is 2 Hz.

Likes cpscdave
Are you sure you use the SAMPLE rate for the calc?
*EDIT* Apparently you do :)

Likes skrat
No I'm not sure, but it's what they do here: https://sem.org/PDF/Effects_of_aliasing.pdf on "Aliasing Example" on page 10/21.

Last edited by a moderator:
skrat said:
No I'm not sure, but it's what they do here: https://sem.org/PDF/Effects_of_aliasing.pdf on "Aliasing Example" on page 10/21.

Yeah I should've read what I linked more closely! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes skrat
First off, your frequencies are not 10, 20 and 30 Hz. They are 10/2π, 20/2π and 30/2π Hz. So back to square 1.
Then, each of the three frequencies in your signal are being mixed with a set of frequencies 0, 4, 8, 12, etc. Hz. That's because the sampler operating at 4 Hz can be represented in the frequency domain by a set of Dirac delta functions spaced 4 Hz apart, starting at dc (0Hz).

So what happens when you mix (multiply) 0 Hz with 10/2π Hz? 0 Hz with 20/2π Hz? 4 Hz with 10/2π Hz? Etc. etc. etc.
Remember that all signals are sinusoids.

Ok i am all confused now. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing or how this works. So, the results in post #8 are wrong?

skrat said:
Ok i am all confused now. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing or how this works. So, the results in post #8 are wrong?
Yes.
First thing you need to do is understand that a signal of the form sin wt has RADIAN frequency w, not Hz frequency.
I don't know what they taught you about the math for the sampler - it varies. But by assuming the "comb" spectrum I defined you'll get all the frequencies (of course there are an infinite number of them).

Ok, in that case the input signal has frequencies ##\omega _1=10/2\pi##, ##\omega _2=30/2\pi## and ##\omega _3=50/2\pi##.

Now just to make things clear.. http://www.eas.uccs.edu/~mwickert/ece2610/lecture_notes/ece2610_chap4.pdf equations 4.13 and 4.14 are the ones that really matter in my case right?

skrat said:
Ok, in that case the input signal has frequencies ##\omega _1=10/2\pi##, ##\omega _2=30/2\pi## and ##\omega _3=50/2\pi##.
No. ω is the RADIAN frequency, in rads/sec. f is ω/2π and is in Hz (CYCLES per second).
Now just to make things clear.. http://www.eas.uccs.edu/~mwickert/ece2610/lecture_notes/ece2610_chap4.pdf equations 4.13 and 4.14 are the ones that really matter in my case right?

4.13 which is in the frequency domain.
You're running Matlab so I assume you'll want to run Matlab to get your answer. But since you're only interested in the frequencies themselves rather than those plus the respective harmonic magnitudes, the comb transform I have indicated will yield the same set of frequencies.

Nono, I am not running Matlab. :D It's just the only useful link I found because I am shooting blinds here..
I have to do this on a paper. :)

If I understand you correctly: ##\omega _0=10## rad/s and accordingly ##f_0=10/2\pi## Hz.

skrat said:
Nono, I am not running Matlab. :D It's just the only useful link I found because I am shooting blinds here..
I have to do this on a paper. :)

If I understand you correctly: ##\omega _0=10## rad/s and accordingly ##f_0=10/2\pi## Hz.
Right.
OK, use 4.13 which gives you your frequencies. Remember l runs from 1 + infinity in integer steps.
So you have one fs and three separate f0 and you get all frequencies associated with each f0.

But are all frequencies ok or only up to fs/2?

skrat said:
But are all frequencies ok or only up to fs/2?
No, all frequencies up to infinity.
If you post-filter the signal after sampling with an ideal low-pass filter with cutoff frequency fs/2 you will restore the original, unsampled signal perfectly IF the sampling frequency is at least twice the highest frequency contained in the incoming signal (this statement is not rigorous but for you it will do). But this is not what the question asked, it asked what are the frequencies after sampling but without any post-filtering.

Post-filtering, Nyquist etc are different ideas. Example: you may know that a typical sampling frequency for say an iPod is around 44KHz. This is something more than twice the highest frequency audio input. Dig?

Likes skrat

Related to What Frequencies Emerge in a Sampled Signal of Mixed Sine Waves?

What is continuous signal sampling?

Continuous signal sampling is the process of taking discrete samples of a continuous signal at regular intervals of time. This allows for the signal to be digitally represented and processed.

Why is continuous signal sampling important in science?

Continuous signal sampling is important in science because it allows for the accurate analysis and processing of signals in various fields such as biology, physics, and engineering. It also enables the conversion of analog signals to digital signals, which are easier to manipulate and store.

What is the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem?

The Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem states that in order to accurately reconstruct a continuous signal, the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency present in the signal.

What is the difference between analog and digital signals?

Analog signals are continuous and can have an infinite number of values, while digital signals are discrete and can only have a finite number of values. Digital signals are created through the process of sampling and quantization of analog signals.

What are some common methods of continuous signal sampling?

Some common methods of continuous signal sampling include uniform sampling, non-uniform sampling, and oversampling. Uniform sampling takes samples at regular intervals, while non-uniform sampling takes samples at varying intervals. Oversampling involves taking more samples than necessary in order to reduce noise and improve the accuracy of the signal.