What experiments should I choose for my third year Physics degree?

In summary, the person is in their third year of a Physics degree and needs to choose four experiments for their practical laboratory. They are unsure of which experiments to choose and are seeking advice from others. They are advised to consider their interests and future career plans in order to select experiments that will help them learn and excel in their chosen area of physics. It is suggested that they read up on each experiment topic to see what interests them the most. Ultimately, they should approach university as an opportunity to learn as much as possible.
profesrchaos
I have just entered the 3rd year of a Physics degree and I am required to choose four experiments from the following for the practical laboratory.
Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 16.51.29.png

Ive had a decent look into subject area each experiment embodies but I feel I don't have a good jist of how they really are, and I know I don't have the knowledge on these experiments that PF does. Do any of these strike out at you as a great experiment or one that maybe has great knowledge value. Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
By third year you should have some idea of the generic area of physics you want to study. That should really be the guide you use to pick the experiments to do.

For example, if you planned to be a nuke or to do particle physics, then it is pretty obvious where to look on that list. If you plan to work in solid state physics, doing something with crystals or semi-conductors, or electronics, or something like that, then it is equally obvious where to look. If you planned to do medical physics or health physics then it's easy to pick one or two on that list, and a little harder to pick the rest.

Maybe what you need is to read the Wikipedia pages on each of these topics and see what grabs you.

Generally speaking, you want to treat university as an "all you can learn" buffet. So you want to do the labs that will make it easier for you to learn the stuff you want to for the remaining time you are in uni.

Related to What experiments should I choose for my third year Physics degree?

1. What should I include in my lab experiment report?

Your lab experiment report should include a clear and concise introduction, detailed materials and methods, accurate results, and a thorough discussion and conclusion. It should also include any relevant graphs, tables, and figures to support your findings.

2. How do I choose the right experimental design for my study?

The right experimental design will depend on the research question you are trying to answer. Some common designs include control group, randomized control trial, and before-and-after comparison. It is important to carefully consider the variables you are testing and choose a design that will best isolate and analyze these variables.

3. What are the best practices for collecting and recording data in a lab experiment?

To ensure accuracy and reproducibility, it is important to follow standard protocols for collecting and recording data. This includes using calibrated equipment, accurately measuring and labeling samples, and recording data in a systematic and organized manner. It is also important to minimize human error by having multiple researchers collect and record data independently.

4. How do I analyze and interpret my lab experiment results?

The analysis and interpretation of your results will depend on the type of data collected and the research question being addressed. Some common methods of analysis include statistical tests, graphical representation, and comparison to theoretical predictions. It is important to critically evaluate your results and consider any potential confounding factors.

5. What should I do if my lab experiment does not produce the expected results?

If your experiment does not produce the expected results, it is important to critically evaluate your methods and data collection to identify any potential errors or biases. You may also consider repeating the experiment or adjusting your methods to address any issues. It is important to remember that unexpected results can still provide valuable insights and contribute to scientific understanding.