What Electives should I take? (Structural Engineering)

In summary, based on the conversation, the person is sticking with Civil Engineering and is starting to take technical electives. They are interested in a structural focus and have a list of possible electives, including non-structural ones. They are seeking advice on which classes to prioritize, with a suggestion to focus on classes that teach methods rather than specific content. The suggested high priority classes are Structural Theory II, Advanced Structural Design, Experimental Methods in Structural Engineering, and Computer Aided Structural Design, while the suggested medium priority classes are Strength of Materials II and Green Engineering.
spiq
Hey guys, so if you've seen my other thread I've decided to stick with Civil Engineering. I'm going into my third year and I'm going to start taking my technical electives. I've already decided to make my degree a structural focus but there are so many electives I can take and I have to narrow it down to 5 additional classes plus a design course. As far as within structural I am interested in all aspects of it, but here are the possible electives plus some other non-structural ones I'm interested in...

-Structural Theory II (Indeterminacy conditions for structures; slope deflection method, etc.)
-Strength of Materials II (Unsymmetrical bending, shear centers, etc.)
-Experimental Methods in Structural Dynamics
-Advanced Structural Design
-Timber Design
-Prestressed Concrete Design
-Computer Aided Structural Design
-Flow Routing
-Green Engineering (since everything's going green)
-Soil Mechanics Lab
-Soil Stabalization
-Rock Mechanics and Design

Any advice would be very beneficial and thank you as always
-nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm no Civ-E, but...

If it were me in your situation, I would stick to classes that teach methods rather than specific content, unless I had a special interest in the content itself. Methods are generally applicable across content, whereas content may not teach methods applicable to other content and the content may be very focused.

With my limited knowledge, I would say that based on my advice, the following courses sound most appealing to me:

High priority:
- Structural Theory II
- Advanced Structural Design
- Experimental Methods in Structural Engineering
- Computer Aided Structural Design

Medium priority:
- Strength of Materials II
- Green Engineering

Low priority:
(the rest)

I would recommend that you prioritize taking courses that will provide you with a strong foundation in structural engineering principles and design. This includes courses such as Structural Theory II, Strength of Materials II, Advanced Structural Design, and Computer Aided Structural Design. These courses will give you a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of structural engineering and prepare you for a career in the field.

In addition to these core courses, I would also suggest considering courses in areas that are becoming increasingly important in the field of structural engineering, such as green engineering and experimental methods in structural dynamics. These courses will provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that will make you a more well-rounded and competitive engineer.

It is also important to consider taking courses outside of the structural engineering discipline, such as Soil Mechanics Lab and Rock Mechanics and Design. These courses will provide you with a broader understanding of the factors that affect structural design and will make you a more versatile engineer.

Ultimately, the electives you choose should align with your interests and career goals. I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor and other professionals in the field to get their insights and advice on which courses would be most beneficial for you. Good luck in your studies!

Related to What Electives should I take? (Structural Engineering)

1. What are some recommended electives for structural engineering?

Some recommended electives for structural engineering include courses in advanced structural analysis, earthquake engineering, bridge design, and finite element analysis. These courses can provide a deeper understanding of various structural systems and their behavior under different loads.

2. Can I take electives outside of the structural engineering department?

Yes, it is often encouraged to take electives outside of the structural engineering department to gain a broader knowledge base. Some suggested areas to explore include geotechnical engineering, construction management, and materials science. These courses can provide a better understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of structural engineering.

3. Are there any specific electives that will be beneficial for my career in structural engineering?

There are several electives that can be beneficial for a career in structural engineering, such as courses in project management, risk assessment, and sustainability in engineering. These courses can help develop skills that are highly valued in the industry and can make you a more well-rounded engineer.

4. Is it better to take a variety of electives or focus on a specific area within structural engineering?

It is recommended to have a mix of both. Taking a variety of electives can provide a broad understanding of different aspects of structural engineering, while focusing on a specific area can allow for a deeper understanding and expertise in that particular field. Consider your career goals and interests when choosing your electives.

5. How do I know which electives are right for me?

It is important to consider your interests, career goals, and academic strengths when choosing electives. Consult with your academic advisor or professors for guidance and also research the course syllabus and prerequisites to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the elective. You can also speak with professionals in the field to get their recommendations on valuable electives.