What Electives Do Physics Students Usually Take?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the typical course load for a physics student and the potential impact of taking elective courses. Some students prefer to focus on only physics and math courses, while others may take additional courses outside of the field. These "bird courses" are typically easy and serve as a break from the more challenging physics classes. However, the speaker notes that when evaluating applicants for graduate school, they do not place much importance on elective courses unless they are related to the student's overall interests and show curiosity and focus.
Howers
Just curious, what do physicists usually take on top of the regular course work?

Myself, being enrolled in chemical physics have the following time table this year:

Organic Chemistry I & II
Advanced Calculus w/ Vector Analysis
Waves and Oscillations, then Electrodynamics
Physical Chemistry (aka Thermodynamics then Quantum Chemistry)
Abstract Math then Linear Algebra II

So I know most physics do the 2 maths and 2 physics, but what electives do you usually do?

I was thinking of taking a bird course next year... because this is pretty hard. Do grad schools care that u take 1-2 bird courses per yr?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a 'bird course'?

When I look at applicants to our program, in general I don't care about the overwhelming majority of courses because everyone takes them- and that includes many of the elective classes. If there's an obvious oddball, I'll ask why they took it- that includes non-physics oddball classes. I also always ask what their least favorite class was, why it was their least favorite, and what they would do differently to prevent that situation for reoccuring.

Bird course: a course you can fly by with no effort, ie. a easy filler course.

What I mean is I want to do say 3-4 real physics classes and have an extra I don't really have to study for. I can't handle doing 3+ sciences anymore, so I'm wondering if filling them in with off topic courses would affect grad status.

Oh. Ok.

Well, personally, it makes no difference to me when interviewing candidates. OTOH, if the off-topic courses are structured in a coherent way that reflects an underlying interest in a particular field of study, that's potentially interesting and useful because it shows that the applicant has curiosity as well as focus.

I am completing my second year..

This semester:
Linear Algebra
E&M
Mechanics & SR
Quantum
Astronomy

and 4 labs to go along. It's tiring!

Related to What Electives Do Physics Students Usually Take?

1. What is a time table?

A time table is a structured schedule that lists events, tasks, or activities in chronological order. It is commonly used for planning and organizing daily, weekly, or monthly activities.

2. Why is a time table important?

A time table helps individuals or organizations to manage their time effectively and efficiently. It allows for better planning, prioritization, and tracking of tasks, leading to increased productivity and less stress.

3. How do you create a time table?

To create a time table, you can start by listing down all the tasks or activities that need to be done. Then, assign a specific time and duration for each task, taking into consideration your priorities and deadlines. You can use a physical planner or a digital calendar to create and update your time table.

4. Can a time table be flexible?

Yes, a time table can be flexible. It is important to leave some room for unexpected tasks or interruptions that may arise. You can also adjust your time table as needed, but try to stick to the overall structure to maintain productivity and avoid falling behind schedule.

5. How often should a time table be updated?

A time table should be updated regularly, depending on the frequency of your tasks or activities. It is recommended to review and adjust your time table daily or weekly to ensure it is still relevant and effective. Flexibility is key, so don't be afraid to make changes as needed.