What do you do during the winter? Research? Internship?

In summary, the conversation revolved around career growth opportunities during a one-month break from college. Suggestions were offered, including helping a professor with research, taking an inter-semester course, or finding an internship. The benefits of each option were discussed and the possibility of finding a company that offers a one-month internship was mentioned. The individual was advised to carefully consider their options and make a decision that aligns with their future goals.
DefaultName
Hi all, I'm currently entering my jr. year in college, as a BSEE. I'm currently doing an internship right now, but I'm planning for my winter. What do you all do? I have about 1 month and a week off from school. Dec 15 - Jan 24 or so.

I'd hate to sit idle for a month, I'd rather do something productive as far as career growth - any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a physics major, not EE, but I'll try to offer some help.

You can always help out a professor with some research project. Or you can take an inter-semester course if your school offers them. An internship maybe a little bit harder to obtain since you are only free to work for a month or so (unless you could work it out so you could work part-time during the semester). I would say research would probably be the easiest to do, since you could continue it during the semester if you wished, and it wouldn't cost you money. The good thing about internships though is that you would probably get paid, which may not be true for research, and you'd make some connections in industry, which I hear is good from my EE friends. So, if your looking to get into industry, finding an internship may be better than research, which would be better if you wanted to go to grad-school.

I hope this helps you in your decisions.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I'm not too sure where I should go. I applied to one company, so we'll see what happens. I'll try to find some more otherwise, I'll probably take a winter course.

A winter course can never hurt(as long as you don't bomb it:smile:). At very least, it'll help to lower your workload in future semesters.

Anyone know any companies that take students for 1 month or so, from Dec15 to Jan 21st ish? I know this is rare, but might as well throw it out there.

Related to What do you do during the winter? Research? Internship?

1. What type of research do you typically conduct during the winter?

As a scientist, my research focus can vary depending on my specific field of study. However, during the winter months, I may conduct research related to climate change, winter weather patterns, or the effects of cold temperatures on certain species or environments.

2. Do you have any ongoing internships during the winter season?

It is possible for scientists to have internships during the winter, but it ultimately depends on the availability of internship opportunities in their field of study. Some internships may be specific to the winter season, while others may be year-round. As a scientist, I may have internships available to me at any time of the year.

3. How do you handle conducting outdoor research during the colder months?

Conducting outdoor research during the winter can be challenging, but as a scientist, I am well-equipped to handle the colder temperatures. This may include wearing appropriate winter gear, using specialized equipment for cold weather conditions, and taking precautions to stay safe in potentially hazardous environments.

4. How does your research change during the winter compared to other seasons?

My research may vary depending on the season, as different seasons can bring different environmental conditions and challenges. For example, during the winter, I may focus on studying the effects of snow and ice on the environment, while during the summer, I may focus on the effects of heat and humidity.

5. Are there any specific projects or studies you are currently working on during the winter?

As a scientist, I may have ongoing projects and studies throughout the year, including during the winter season. These projects may be related to my field of study and can range from short-term experiments to long-term studies. Each project may have specific goals and objectives that I am working towards.