What do the Thread Prefixes mean? (A, I, B)

• Thread starter Souhardya Nandi
  • Start date
In summary: Perhaps it would be possible to add a title attribute to the HTML spans for the levels spelling out what the level stands for? If so, it should then show up when you hover the mouse over them, just like for most (all?) textless buttons in use on Physics Forums.
Souhardya Nandi
Can anyone explain what does A stand for, B stand for and C stand for in the prefixes ?

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SN. :welcome:

Go to the bottom of this page, click on HELP.
Scroll to the last entry in the left hand column, click on Thread Level Prefixes.

The best place for asking about using the forums is https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/feedback-and-announcements.19/
but before asking it is advisable to do a search there to see whether a similar question has already been asked and answered, to save you asking it again.

Enjoy your time on the forums. :oldsmile:

Likes berkeman
Title edited to make it more descriptive and thread moved to the Feedback forum. :smile:

Souhardya Nandi said:
Can anyone explain what does A stand for, B stand for and C stand for in the prefixes ?
There is no C. It's A for Advanced, I for Intermediate and B for basic. If you start a thread and click the prefix drop down you'll see even more explanation.

NascentOxygen said:
Scroll to the last entry in the left hand column, click on Thread Level Prefixes.

That help page (https://www.physicsforums.com/help/threadprefixes/) doesn't look very good. It essentially looks copied from the forum (it references a "today" that was likely over a year ago) and has naked BBcode tags that do not do anything.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There is no C. It's A for Advanced, I for Intermediate and B for basic. If you start a thread and click the prefix drop down you'll see even more explanation.
Ygggdrasil said:
That help page (https://www.physicsforums.com/help/threadprefixes/) doesn't look very good. It essentially looks copied from the forum (it references a "today" that was likely over a year ago) and has naked BBcode tags that do not do anything.
I agree; although when the announcement posting came about the prefixes, I remember reading that post, and it made sense. It was a good idea.

After taking another look at them through intending to make a post but not, only looking at the drop-down prefix list, they all make sense. Whoever is making a post can choose what level HE believes his question or topic to be. He might be right or wrong, but this does not matter. Just make your best choice.
B -- beginning level, maybe high school
I -- more advanced than high school, maybe lower division courses, maybe remedial for "college"
A - graduate level or maybe upper-division ("Advanced")

symbolipoint said:
Whoever is making a post can choose what level HE believes his question or topic to be.
Actually, the OP should pick his own level rather than the level (s)he believes the topic to be. An OP with high-school knowledge of GR will likely not be helped by an A-level discussion of the intricacies of different coordinate charts of the Schwarzschild space-time. It is a very common error to think "this topic seems very advanced to me so I will label it A". I would say it is the primary reason for mentors relabelling threads ...

Likes davenn and Bandersnatch
Orodruin said:
I would say it is the primary reason for mentors relabelling threads ...

I agree. I can't remember ever relabeling for another reason.

NascentOxygen said:

I would really expect that information to be shown "inline" so to speak.

Perhaps it would be possible to add a title attribute to the HTML spans for the levels spelling out what the level stands for? If so, it should then show up when you hover the mouse over them, just like for most (all?) textless buttons in use on Physics Forums.

Related to What do the Thread Prefixes mean? (A, I, B)

What do the Thread Prefixes mean?

The Thread Prefixes are used to categorize and organize threads on a forum or message board. They provide a quick summary of the topic or purpose of the thread.

What does the "A" prefix stand for?

The "A" prefix typically stands for "Announcement." This is used for important information or updates that the forum moderators or administrators want to share with the community.

What does the "I" prefix stand for?

The "I" prefix commonly stands for "Information." This is used for threads that provide helpful information or resources for the community, such as tutorials, guidelines, or FAQs.

What does the "B" prefix stand for?

The "B" prefix usually stands for "Discussion" or "General Discussion." This is used for threads that are open for general discussion and may cover a wide range of topics within the forum's subject matter.

Can users create their own Thread Prefixes?

It depends on the forum or message board. Some may allow users to create their own prefixes, while others may have a set list of prefixes to choose from. It's best to check the forum's guidelines or contact a moderator for more information.