What Are the Prefixes? Discovering Their Meaning

• Thread starter coach950
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of prefixes in a forum for quantum mechanics. The prefixes, A-Advanced, I-Intermediate, or B-basic, are used to categorize posts and ensure that homework questions are posted in the appropriate section. Failure to choose the correct prefix may result in a mentor changing it.
coach950
Hey I'm new here anyone know what the prefixes are all about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give an example?

Which prefixes do you mean? Lingual, units, numbers?

Whenever I try to post to qauntum mechanics it says pick a prefix A I B

coach950 said:
Whenever I try to post to qauntum mechanics it says pick a prefix A I B
It's asking if your post is A-Advanced, I-Intermediate, or B- basic. if you choose the wrong category a mentor will change it. Please be sure that you are not posting homework or homework like questions in the regular forums, those go in the appropriate homework section.

Last edited:
Thankyou

Related to What Are the Prefixes? Discovering Their Meaning

1. What are prefixs and their significance in science?

Prefixes are groups of letters or syllables that are added to the beginning of a word to change its meaning or create a new word. In science, prefixes are used to specify a unit of measurement, describe the chemical composition of a substance, or indicate the number of atoms in a molecule.

2. How many prefixes are there in science?

There are hundreds of prefixes used in scientific terminology. However, there are about 20 common prefixes that are frequently used to form words in the fields of chemistry, biology, and physics.

3. Why are prefixes important in scientific communication?

Prefixes help to create a standardized system of scientific terminology, making it easier for scientists from different countries and backgrounds to communicate and understand each other's research. They also help to convey precise and accurate information about measurements, substances, and structures.

4. Can prefixes be used in other languages?

Yes, many prefixes used in science are derived from Greek and Latin words, making them universal and easily understood by scientists from different linguistic backgrounds. However, some languages may have their own prefixes that are used in scientific terminology.

5. How can I learn and remember all the different prefixes used in science?

The best way to learn prefixes is to familiarize yourself with the most commonly used ones and their meanings. You can also create flashcards or use mnemonic devices to help you remember them. Additionally, practicing using prefixes in context through reading and writing scientific texts can also aid in memorization.