What do Engineers Read? Homework Assignment

In summary, the student is seeking advice on which publication to choose for a hypothetical engineering success story assignment. The professor is looking for a sound reason for the publication choice and wants numbers and measurements to support it. The student plans to visit engineering forums to gather trends, and the Physics Forum is a potential resource for insight on popular trade publications. Suggestions include looking into engineering-related journals such as IEEE and SAE, as well as considering the target audience and purpose of the story. Multiple publications should be considered, and the student may also seek input from the professor.
lifeispeachy
I've been given a school assignment that if I were to, hypothetically, gets a story published on an engineering success story, what publication would I choose and why? Although this is a pretend situation, my professor will take no hesitation to fail the assignment if I am unable to provide a sound reason for my publication choices. That means just picking any ole publication that carries an engineering title is out of the question. My professor wants numbers and measurements to support my choices. I tried to go to Google, but to no avail! So I eventually I came to the idea that I should just ask the engineers directly and now my plan is to visit one engineering forum after the next and tally up the trends that I find. To my understanding, the Physics Forum focuses strictly on the academic side, which would prove very useful to my assignment because response may result into insight on popular trade publications. I do take the time to read each forum's rules and regulations before posting a thread. Even after my reading of this forum’s protocols that this message still manages to break one of the terms and conditions, I apologize in advance. I know this topic may not be as fun as the other topics on this forum, but I would really appreciate the assistance. Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
lifeispeachy said:
I've been given a school assignment that if I were to, hypothetically, gets a story published on an engineering success story, what publication would I choose and why? Although this is a pretend situation, my professor will take no hesitation to fail the assignment if I am unable to provide a sound reason for my publication choices. That means just picking any ole publication that carries an engineering title is out of the question. My professor wants numbers and measurements to support my choices. I tried to go to Google, but to no avail! So I eventually I came to the idea that I should just ask the engineers directly and now my plan is to visit one engineering forum after the next and tally up the trends that I find. To my understanding, the Physics Forum focuses strictly on the academic side, which would prove very useful to my assignment because response may result into insight on popular trade publications. I do take the time to read each forum's rules and regulations before posting a thread. Even after my reading of this forum’s protocols that this message still manages to break one of the terms and conditions, I apologize in advance. I know this topic may not be as fun as the other topics on this forum, but I would really appreciate the assistance. Thank You!

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts so far? What kind of "engineering success story" can you picture? It would seem that if the application of the engineering was some popular item (like making the first iPad or something), then it could be published just about anywhere, including the popular press. If it were about some more obscure thing (like a new IC fab process that shrinks the current geometry attainable), the publication would be more technical in nature.

Any engineering-related journal would be my first place to go. For example, many electrical/computer engineers/scientists publish various papers and stories in the various IEEE publications; mechanical/automotive engineers may consider SAE.

The thing with both IEEE/SAE (and there's a lot more than just those two, although they are the largest in the world) is that they have an audience of like-minded individuals - and that's what your primary deciding factor should be.

Thank you Berkeman and breakthrough for taking the time to reply.

Addressing Berkeman's question: The story will not be based on a commercial device such as an i pod, but will focus on (as you said) a more technical mechanism that improves some form of operation within a business (e.g. thermal reading sensors that automatically adjust the temperature of a building). The idea does not have to be feasible, but the only feasible process is the media that I choose to publish in.

All of you guy's contribution have helped me in my quest. Once again thank you.

Look for Engineering Institutes (eg Institute of Mechanical Engineers) and look at what magazines / journals they publish.

I think you need to work out why you are publishing the story...

If you are trying to sell this new device think about which journals/magazines the customer is going to read.

If the article is about new technology used to design or make the new device then perhaps a journal dedicated to other potential users of that technology rather than customers for the device.

If you are trying to promote the companies success rather than the device then perhaps even a magazine aimed at potential investors/shareholders.

I'm not convinced there is a right answer so perhaps give multiple answers. Try and identify key journals in the relevant field and check their circulation figures. Ring them and ask if necessary.

Perhaps find out which journals your professor reads :-)

Related to What do Engineers Read? Homework Assignment

1. What is the purpose of reading for Engineers?

Reading is an essential part of an engineer's job, as it allows them to gather information, learn new concepts, and stay updated with the latest developments in their field. It also helps them to communicate effectively with colleagues and understand complex technical documents.

2. What types of materials do Engineers typically read?

Engineers read a wide range of materials, including technical manuals, research papers, industry journals, textbooks, design specifications, and project reports. They also read codes and standards related to their specific field of engineering.

3. How often do Engineers have to read?

The frequency of reading for engineers varies depending on their specific job roles and responsibilities. However, most engineers read on a daily basis, whether it's for work-related tasks or personal development. It is a continuous process throughout their career.

4. Can Engineers use any reading techniques to improve their skills?

Yes, there are various reading techniques that engineers can use to enhance their skills. Some of these include skimming, scanning, and active reading. These techniques can help them to read faster, retain information better, and improve their critical thinking abilities.

5. How does reading benefit Engineers in their profession?

Reading is crucial for engineers as it helps them to stay updated with the latest technologies and techniques in their field, which is essential for their professional growth. It also helps them to identify and solve problems more efficiently, communicate effectively with clients and colleagues, and stay informed about industry regulations and standards.