What classes should I choose to guarantee a job and TA position in my field?

• Courses
  • Thread starter NruJaC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker is a math/physics double major who is planning to go to grad school in theoretical physics. They have two fixed classes, Many Particle Physics and Physical Optics, but no math courses or other required classes are offered. They have the option to take Electric and Magnetic Fields or Semiconductor Materials and Devices 1, but their advisor suggests taking the full semiconductor sequence for job opportunities. The speaker is considering taking both E&M and semiconductors, just semiconductors, or just E&M. They are seeking advice on what to do.
NruJaC
So course registration is next Wednesday for me, and I've got some choices with the classes I can take next quarter. I'm a math/physics double major, and I'm looking to go to grad school in physics (theoretical). Two of my classes are fixed: Many Particle Physics (basically a 4th quarter of introductory physics: thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, etc.) and Physical Optics (an introduction to optics). Sadly, no math courses are offered, nor any other required classes except some general history requirements. As a result, about all I can do is take more physics classes. My choices are Electric and Magentic fields (first of two quarters of the standard undergrad electromagnetism sequence) and Semiconductor Materials and Devices 1 (first of a four course sequence, of which only the first is required for my major). My advisor strongly suggested that since I'm so far ahead of the sequence anyway, it would be a good idea to take the full semiconductor sequence since it would immediately guarantee me a job next summer and a TA position the following year. Now, I could take both EMag fields and semiconductors this next quarter, but that would put me at 3 labs for the quarter plus one of the hardest classes my school offers. Another option is to take the semiconductors class and put off emag till next year. Advantage of this is that I take emag 1 and 2 closer to the gre exam. The last option is that I take emag now and forget about taking semiconductors 1 till next year (probably skipping the rest of the sequence).

If you read all that, thanks! If you have any advice, double thanks!

Arjun

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, NruJaC
notice that working (although depends on the type) and TAing are plus on your application for grad school. So I think that you probably want get the semiconductor sequence.
As for E&M, well, I guess it also depends. Notice that getting an A is better than rushing through classes.

, it sounds like you have some great options for your upcoming course registration. I would suggest considering a few factors before making your decision. First, think about your long-term goals and how each class may contribute to them. If your main goal is to go to grad school in theoretical physics, then taking the Many Particle Physics and Physical Optics classes will definitely be beneficial. These classes will provide a strong foundation for your future studies.

However, if you're also interested in pursuing a job and TA position in your field, then taking the Semiconductor Materials and Devices course can definitely help with that. As your advisor suggested, completing the full sequence will make you more marketable and increase your chances of getting a job and TA position.

Next, consider your workload and schedule. Taking on too much can be overwhelming and affect your performance in all of your classes. It may be a good idea to spread out your classes over multiple quarters to balance your workload and allow yourself to fully absorb the material.

Lastly, don't forget to factor in your own interests and strengths. If you have a strong interest in electromagnetism, then taking the EMag fields class could be a great choice for you. On the other hand, if you struggle with labs and prefer more theoretical classes, then focusing on the semiconductor sequence may be a better fit.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it's important to weigh all of these factors before making a choice. I would also recommend discussing your options with your advisor and seeking advice from upperclassmen or graduate students in your field. They may have valuable insights and experiences to share that can help guide your decision. Best of luck with your course registration!

Related to What classes should I choose to guarantee a job and TA position in my field?

What courses do I need to take this semester?

The courses you need to take this semester will depend on your academic program and any requirements or prerequisites you may have. You can check your degree requirements on your university's website or speak with your academic advisor for guidance.

How do I register for courses?

To register for courses, you will need to login to your university's online registration system. This may be through a student portal or a separate registration website. Once logged in, you can search for and add courses to your schedule. Make sure to pay attention to any registration deadlines and prerequisites for the courses you want to take.

What should I do if the course I want is full?

If the course you want is full, you can try adding yourself to the waitlist if available. You can also reach out to the instructor or your academic advisor to see if any additional spots may open up. If not, you may need to choose another course or consider taking the course in a future semester.

Can I change my course schedule after registering?

Yes, you can typically make changes to your course schedule even after registering. However, there may be specific deadlines for adding or dropping courses, so make sure to check with your university's registration policies. You may also need to get approval from your academic advisor or instructor before making any changes.

What happens if I drop a course?

If you drop a course, it will no longer appear on your transcript and will not count towards your degree requirements. Depending on when you drop the course, you may also be eligible for a refund of the course fees. However, dropping a course may also impact your progress towards graduation, so make sure to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your schedule.