What Chapters of Halliday & Resnick Are Covered in Physics I & II?

• Classical
  • Thread starter Ascendant0
  • Start date
Ascendant0
Can someone please tell me what chapters of Halliday & Resnick (screenshot of chapters below) would be covered in Physics I, and which ones in Physics II? Been about nine years now since I've looked at this stuff, so I don't remember exactly what was covered in those two.

I know everything up to at least chapter 11 for Physics I, if not more.

For Physics II, I'm thinking at least chapters 21-33, if not more.

I mean I'd like to study above and beyond what I need to catch up on, but I have to get caught up on everything first. I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Halliday n Resnick.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
"Physics I" and "Physics II" vary a lot by school. Probably the best to do is to find the chool who you are most interested in, and who uses this text and download their syllabus.

Likes Ascendant0
Vanadium 50 said:
"Physics I" and "Physics II" vary a lot by school. Probably the best to do is to find the chool who you are most interested in, and who uses this text and download their syllabus.
Great idea, thanks! I'm ideally going to USF near me in fall, but still waiting on admissions to process it. Only down side is I was a 4.0 up until my AA, then during my 3rd year, I withdrew from one course one semester, then all of them the next (family crisis and trauma that caused me to have to stop at the time). Hoping they will see I took 7 honors courses while working on my AA (transferred 3rd year to a bigger university), and that clearly with the withdraws, something went seriously wrong. I obviously had the capability, but I don't know exactly how admissions works. Also concerned about it impacting financial aid. But, going to cross that bridge when I get to it. I need to make this degree happen.

Some / many schools put the “modern physics” material (chapters 27-44) into a third course.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Ascendant0
jtbell said:
Some / many schools put the “modern physics” material (chapters 27-44) into a third course.
Thanks for the information. That I do know, as I attended UF years ago up to the end of my 3rd year and that's how they did it. I'm picking back up from the start of my 3rd year because it's been so long (over 8yrs), and I had a hard time focusing past my 2nd year due to everything going on back then. In my 3rd year though, "Modern Physics" was its own specific course, and we were introduced to both special relativity and quantum mechanics in that course. They called it the "make it or break it course," where they intentionally crammed a bunch into it to see if you were cut out for physics/engineering or not

I know different colleges do it different, but just trying to get a rough idea of what I should know going back into my 3rd year. I only have five months, so I have to prioritize the *must haves*, then get to the optional material after that

Muu9 said:
Well, state college (because my ex wouldn't let us move), but I passed all of those courses there. I completed everything up to my AA, with all honors courses in physics and calc, multiple academic awards, and with a 4.0. Those are all complete, and I had a very firm grasp of them back then. But, that was over 8yrs ago, and I haven't looked at any of it since due to circumstances until now

The courses I was taking last was Mech II, Thermal Physics, Lab Physics 1, and that's all I remember off the top of my head. Everything up to 3rd year (up to Calc III, Physics II, ODE, and another math course I can't remember the name of, some MAP course) I aced back then. I also completed a C++ course and Computational Linear Algebra as well, but I definitely need to revisit those again in college

What I need to brush up on currently is all that is typically covered up to the 3rd year of undergrad. Past that, I'll be taking them in college again.

For mech there's Morin, I guess